Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #1 
Harley

Question Can I?...

Harley just died yesterday and I was on my way out the door to work when I found him. He died of SBD. I left him in the tank as I was in a hurry and figured that was a better way than planning a quick funeral. The service will likely be tomorrow . My tank is cycled now, do I have to re-do it or can I just change and vacuum as its a day or 2 away from needing to be done. I really don't want to recycle my tank again if I can help it but I don't want to hurt any new fish I get either. Thanks.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 
Littlebittyfish

It should be fine..I don't believe you will have to recycle..I would do a few water changes before adding a new fish though..and maybe rinse the filter media in conditioned water.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #3 
Harley

That won't mess with the beneficial bacteria though? Is declorinated water the same as water treated with water conditioner?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #4 
Canuck Fins

When I lost my Scout (who I suspect was sick when I got him from the store, only had him three days), OFL suggested that I leave my tank fishless for 72 hours to ensure any illness would die off without a live host to latch onto. I did a water change. It didn't kill off my cycle; I tested the water before adding the new fish. I got my new fish and he's been happy in that tank for months since. That said I don't know what killed my first fish.

Dechlorinated water is treated water.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #5 
Neil D

I'm sorry about Harley, it was nice looking at some of his stories around the forum. Are you planning to draw another pic like the one in your avatar?

Do two 50% water changes consecutively. Like on saturday do one then on Sunday do one. If your tank is cycled just change the entire filter media, there should be enough BB in the gravel to not cause a mini-cycle.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote