Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #1 
lemonpebbles

Fish travel help!

Next week, we're taking a six hour road trip to Louisiana and will be staying there for about a week. Thing is, my new fishie Archie that I got on the eleventh is still adjusting and hasn't eaten yet, so I'm afraid that if I leave him without food for another week the results won't be pretty... I don't know anybody who can pet sit little Archie so what do I do? Do I get a feeding block or do I just leave him with no food for another week? And if the best option is to take him, can someone give me advice on how to safely take my fishie on a 6 hour road trip? (and if this helps, I have a 2.75 gallon tank, we don't have a filter or heater yet but we'll be getting one this thursday or firday)
lemonpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #2 
Canuck Fins

Keep trying to feed him twice a day and remove any uneaten food after a few minutes. He will eat. They can go a crazy long time without eating. I wouldn't leave a feeding block in the tank as food left in the tank will foul the water if not eaten.

In a tank that size, it's not good for your fish to go a whole week without a water change. I think that would cause more harm to him than not feeding him. Ammonia will build up in that time. In a 2.75G tank that is not filtered, you want to do two water changes a week -- one 50% and one 100% with substrate cleaning. Otherwise you are just diluting it, not getting rid of the ammonia.

If you decide to take him, travelling with him in a bag is a good option. Fill it with clean, treated water with air in it as well to let him breath. Keep the fish in the dark while travelling to reduce stress. Good luck!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #3 
lemonpebbles

Thanks! I have been giving him water changes often (at least once a week for half water changes and always one full water change per week) But what do you mean by bag? Would a ziploc bag do? And using new water in the bag won't stress them out?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
Keep trying to feed him twice a day and remove any uneaten food after a few minutes. He will eat. They can go a crazy long time without eating. I wouldn't leave a feeding block in the tank as food left in the tank will foul the water if not eaten.
I agree- you can leave him at home. No feeding blocks, as those get messy! Yuck!

In a tank that size, it's not good for your fish to go a whole week without a water change. I think that would cause more harm to him than not feeding him. Ammonia will build up in that time. In a 2.75G tank that is not filtered, you want to do two water changes a week -- one 50% and one 100% with substrate cleaning. Otherwise you are just diluting it, not getting rid of the ammonia.

I disagree. In a 2.75 gallon tank, before you leave for your trip, do a full water change, and then he will be fine for that week you're gone. Feed him and change his water when you get home, though. Just try not to make a habit of it... Do more frequent changes as above normally.

If you decide to take him, travelling with him in a bag is a good option. Fill it with clean, treated water with air in it as well to let him breath. Keep the fish in the dark while travelling to reduce stress. Good luck!
I more or less agree on the above- (minus the "new" water- keep the original tank water in the bag, change 50% two days before hand)

I suggest you DONT bring the fish...Travel is sooo stressful, it really is. He's new and wont eat, and taking him with you is just gonna make him stressed out and unable to adjust even further.

If you dont have a heater for the tank/wont have it by the time you leave, keep the fish in the warmest spot in the house.

(Sorry, not to be a pain- just putting in my two cents, I travel with my fish all the time for college ><)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonpebbles View Post
Thanks! I have been giving him water changes often (at least once a week for half water changes and always one full water change per week) But what do you mean by bag? Would a ziploc bag do? And using new water in the bag won't stress them out?
Sandwich size seems to work best, fill about half way. Water as what I said above does well, familiar yet nice and clean.

Double bag the ziplock if you can- just in case. Bring a shirt to wrap the bag in for a nice dark place to chill- open every while for new air.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #6 
lemonpebbles

Hmmm, so PewPewPew do you think he would be okay if he didn't eat for another week? And as Canuck Fins said, would he run the risk of an ammonia spike if I just left him? or would that no longer be a problem after I got him a filter?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

A filter will not lower ammonia levels in a tank, unless cycled (which takes many weeks/months). The only thing filters will do is allow you to not need a 100% water change in your tank (which is nice) and gives you the chance to cycle.

He'll be ok without the food...They can go a while. Keep trying to feed him, though- right up until you leave. He pretty much assuredly wouldnt eat if you brought him on the trip,as hed be really stressed out. If he wont eat at home all cozy, he wont there!

If youre worried about ammonia levels, I advise you go out and get some anacharis or water sprite. These guys suck up ammonia really well and arent messy in your tank (they dont drop nettles like hornwort). Theyre also a nice place for the fish to sleep. They just float, easy peasy! Theyre cheap, too.

As said, change the water 100% two days before you leave. Change the day/night before 25-50%. When you get home, offer food and change the water 100% :D
Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #8 
lemonpebbles

Alrighty, sounds good! :D Thanks a lot for the advice, I'm sure Archie will appreciate it! x)
Old 06-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Good luck :3 <3
Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

Zeolite "ammocarb" material, in a yellow box by the salt and carbon boxes.

This in a filter will buy you a week with low or no feeding, it won't stop a cycle from happening but it will absorb ammonia and some nitrite.

The best solution assuming you have an air pump is PennPlax's Small World bubble filter. They're about $6 to $14 (maybe $18 at worst for the full kit including pump) and you can keep it and use it with a sponge wedged in afterwards.

The amount of water that was in the cup when you bought him is enough to use as road-trip fill. If you still have that cup and cap even better! I do agree that for transport you should use bags. Remember to take a fresh water supply treated with water treatment and a small amount of salt as well as your tank chemical supplies for the week there if you take him. One pellet every other day is more than enough food.

The primary concerns on a road-trip are heat variation (very hard to control and often lethal through fatigue) and pollution. You'd be surprised how inured to toxicity most people get in cars... so honestly your best chance is to beef up the water quality at home, take out the rocks and stuff to increase actual water volume, and leave him behind. Leave a picture of you with him.

Stays away from home are why I always advise people a minimum of 5 gallons, fully cycled, with aeration, thermostat heating and a power filter.
My girls would be fine for two weeks with a 50% water change before I walked out the door.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote