Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #1 
ChelseaK

Hmm... Interesting injury on Hutch's mouth

I'm really not sure what happened. I accidentally scooped Hutch up in a net while trying to clear out frogbit out of my tank, and put her back in to find that she had very clamped fins and what looks like a cut on her mouth. I figured the reason I scooped her up so easily is because she's be moving very slowly and staying at the top of the tank unless she's literally resting on the bottom. I have her in a cup floating in the big tank for now, I would like to treat her as soon as possible but have to leave soon for work. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to treat her? For now, I am going to leave her in the cup floating so she won't have trouble getting to the surface for air.
Here are some pictures, I hope they can help.

Note: Sorry about all the frogbit, haha.
Attached Images

ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #2 
LeroyTheBetta

Sorry your fishie's not doing well. You could try a little aq salt in his container and keep it floating in his main tank to maintain temp. The salt might help deter an infection from possibly setting in. Also, since in a small container, keep the water really clean.... clean water in itself will also go far in helping to heal.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I would get her in high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal, tannins along with 100% daily water changes in the small QT floating in the heated tank to maintain a water temp in the 76F range....since she may have been sick already and now her mouth is swollen.....I would fear Flexibacter...

Pre mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the salt 3tsp/gal and tannin source...either IAL or oak leaf to steep and use this water for 50% water change every hour X 2 then 100% daily for 10 days....hold food for 2 days and then offer small frequent meals.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #4 
ChelseaK

Change 50% every day for two days?

Thanks ofl!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

No, no...when you first start the treatment make 50% change every hour for two hours...then 100% daily for 10 days...to get her acclimated to the high dose of salt and tannins.....generally they tolerate it but to be safe with higher dose I would make a couple of partials over an hour or so....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #6 
ChelseaK

Okay gotcha, that makes way more sense, haha. Thanks much!