Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #11 
DarkMoon17

Ammonia Clear is not the same as water conditioner. In fact, you should not use Ammonia Clear, just change the water. Chemicals can be harmful so don't use them if you don't have to. Ammonia can be removed simply by doing a water change.

2.5 gal tanks cannot cycle. They are too small. You do not need to add all those cycling chemicals.

This sounds like either ammonia poisoning, swim bladder disease or failure to use water conditioner... Are you absolutely positive you used the water conditioner during the last water change?

To treat ammonia poisoning perform daily water changes until he feels better then continue to perform increased water changes. In a 2.5gal, do one 50% and one 100% per week.

Since he is having trouble swimming it could also be swim bladder disease. You mentioned feeding him a freeze dried blood worm? Freeze dried foods and pellets that are high in grains can cause constipation, which leads to trouble controlling the swim bladder. Fast him for 2-3 days to see if that helps. If you have epsom salt, use that at 2tsp/gal INSTEAD of Aquarium Salt.

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 06-22-2011 at 11:02 PM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:00 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Do you see sudden changes the minute you properly balance his water environment to the right levels? He seems to be moving around more now ...
Grumpy was the 5th betta I had but the 1st one that didn't die in 48 hours. I was using straight tap water for the others and I didn't know about cycled tanks. At first he would either float at the top or just lay at the bottom. Then I did a water changed and added 2 gallons of distilled water and conditioner. I don't any distilled anymore - too expensive, plus it has no minerals in it that fish need.

Quote:
To treat ammonia poisoning perform daily water changes until he feels better then continue to perform increased water changes. In a 2.5gal, do one 50% and one 100% per week.
ditto.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #13 
StacyPaige

He is now completely on his side and upside down near the bottom. Still alive. I don't know what else to do and have no idea what is causing this. I took him out to change the water and put him in a separate bowl with water that was the same temperature and put ammonia clear in this bowl so the tap water wouldn't harm him. I don't know what to do :( Poor guy.
StacyPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #14 
frogipoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyPaige;709496[B
]He is now completely on his side and upside down near the bottom.[/b] Still alive. I don't know what else to do and have no idea what is causing this. I took him out to change the water and put him in a separate bowl with water that was the same temperature and put ammonia clear in this bowl so the tap water wouldn't harm him. I don't know what to do :( Poor guy.
That sounds like swim bladder disease.... O.o
:( Poor little guy...
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #15 
StacyPaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogipoi View Post
That sounds like swim bladder disease.... O.o
:( Poor little guy...
Is there anything that can be done and how do I prevent this in the future?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #16 
DarkMoon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyPaige View Post
He is now completely on his side and upside down near the bottom. Still alive. I don't know what else to do and have no idea what is causing this. I took him out to change the water and put him in a separate bowl with water that was the same temperature and put ammonia clear in this bowl so the tap water wouldn't harm him. I don't know what to do :( Poor guy.
Ammonia clear will not do the job. You need to do real water changes. As long as you let him adjust he will be fine.

Go to your local pharmacy/walmart and get some Epsom Salt. Use 2tsp/gal. Epsom will help relieve constipation (the cause of swim bladder disease). Do a 100% water change to remove the Aquarium Salt, that could be making his swim bladder disease worse.

It is caused by constipation/impaction which is caused by overfeeding or feeding the wrong foods.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #17 
StacyPaige

Thank you! Why is aquarium salt bad versus Epsum? Also - what food do you use and stick with? I was giving him dried blood worms for snack and pellets for meal. How often should I feed him? I was doing once per day plus snack.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #18 
StacyPaige

And once I do these things is it just time until he heals (if he makes it at all)? I will water change again and get the epsum salt. I want to start over. So I should get the salt, the ammonia clear, and what else? Thank you! There are so many products and suggestions out there it confuses me.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #19 
StacyPaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Ammonia clear will not do the job. You need to do real water changes. As long as you let him adjust he will be fine.

Go to your local pharmacy/walmart and get some Epsom Salt. Use 2tsp/gal. Epsom will help relieve constipation (the cause of swim bladder disease). Do a 100% water change to remove the Aquarium Salt, that could be making his swim bladder disease worse.

It is caused by constipation/impaction which is caused by overfeeding or feeding the wrong foods.
I want to go to the store to buy what I need. I have the ammonia and I am going to go get the Epsom salt. But I am not sure what else to get for water conditioner and cycling, etc because I have read so many different things. I am going to 100% change the water now and then go to the store to get the needed products so any/all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #20 
Wyvern

See if your store doesnt stock Seachem Prime. Brilliant water conditioner that will last you forever! Im not sure what other products you guys have since here we dont get all the nice products that you guys get.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote