Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #1 
MikiMaki

Fin clamping...or?

...or crimping...not sure. Is this what it is? I got Tails here two weeks ago and it seems to be getting worse, but no blackened edges or deterioration, just crimping?
Him before

Him now (not a big fan of the camera like my others)

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gl divided 3 ways so aprox 3 gallons per fish
What temperature is your tank? 78 *
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Just the filter
Is your tank heated? Yes, but it's non adjustable
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 other male and a female seperated

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Color enhancing pellets and freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day on the pellets and...well the worms like every other day cause I'm a sucker

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? About every other day since we just introduced the female
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress zyme, aquarium salt, and conditioner (the other male is recovering from fin rot and back from qt)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:1
Nitrite:n
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Other then my perception of the crimping getting worse, no.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? I've only had him two weeks but he seems the same as he was the day I brought him home, subdued and not too feisty.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got him he had it.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? He's tiny tiny, smaller then my female, but he came from the LFS so probably older
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Usually clamped fins look really, really unmistakably clamped to the point where you wouldn't recognize the fish. It looks like your guy just has some very pretty but crimpy fins. Keep an eye on them and watch for black edges, though.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

Are you talking about his pectorals or all his other fins? I can see a slight crimping on his anal fin. Do you happen to know the pH? I've read that high pH can cause that crimping look... but it can also be an early sign of fin rot (the tissue is weakening). I'd increase water changes, 50% once to twice per week.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #4 
MikiMaki

Ok, I will up his water changes and see if that helps. I just went through fin rot with my other guy so maybe I'm hyperparanoid. Thanks for the info guys!
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote