Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #1 
britnyjackson

Unhappy Need betta help...please

Hey everybody!! I 2 bettas in a divided 10 gal tank that absolutely hate eachother and get so stressed that they chew their own tails off. Yes, beautifully gorgeous tails...now half gone....SUPER SAD!! Anyways about 3 months ago I got the brilliant idea to find some cloth and cover the mesh dividers inside of the tank so they couldn't see eachother. They we're super happy, tails grew back and everything!! Well it worked out GREAT until the cloth started to get all nasty and slimey. So now the cloth has been removed and the fish can see eachother once again, and their back to biting their tails.

Ok, so my big question is.....does anyone know of a place that sells BLACK MESH dividers? If not, then is there a safe way to turn the "transparent" ones black? I love my babies and want the best for them and this is just breaking my heart.

Thanks for all the help in advance!
Britny
britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #2 
fishman12

You could get some nonreflective non see through plastic from a craft store and use AQ silicone to put it on the divider.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #3 
Tisia

you can get some colored plastic needlepoint mesh from places like michaels and other craft stores
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Some people have also sandwiched a bunch of Java Moss between two plastic needlepoint mesh screens, then when it grows out fully not only can they not see eachother, but it is really pretty. ^-^
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #5 
pinksnowme

Tisia That is what I was going to suggest
It is called Plastic Canvas. It comes in 8.5 x 11 sheets in all colors. You can get it at most craft stores Micheals, JoAnns...etc
Here is a picture of my bowl cover I made with white Plastic Canvas. It is very easy to cut.
Attached Images

pinksnowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #6 
britnyjackson

Wow thanks for all of the great ideas!!! I have one question about the mesh from michaels though...what would I use to sew the two pieces together if I wanted to put java moss in the middle? It'll be submerged indefinitely......so I want to make sure whatever it is that it's water proof and safe for my little fishes. Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #7 
Tisia

you can use fishing line
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #8 
Gizmothefreaky

The book report spines that i use on my diviters would work fine to hod the two pieces of mesh together, but if you wanted the extra security i would use fishing line. :3 You will need something to keep the ends stiff though, so book report spines or poster frames cut to size are a must. You can fin those at any store that sells a good selection of office supply stuff... ( walmart, office depot, staples etc. )
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksnowme View Post
Tisia That is what I was going to suggest
It is called Plastic Canvas. It comes in 8.5 x 11 sheets in all colors. You can get it at most craft stores Micheals, JoAnns...etc
Here is a picture of my bowl cover I made with white Plastic Canvas. It is very easy to cut.
I love that homemade lid.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #10 
Neil D

I used a plastic folder sheet thing to replace the mesh. Worked perfectly. I also have a divided 10G. Works great!!!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote