Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #1 
StacyPaige

Beta Newbie!

Good morning everyone!

I am new here and just joined. I am also a newbie when it comes to betas. I read the forums on basic care for betas. I was a moron and when I went to PETCO I listened to the people there who told me betas like living in small spaces and don't need pumps/filters/heaters. When I noticed my poor beta losing his color and turning this rusty/greyish color I realized something was wrong so I started researching.

I changed his environment completely yesterday. I attached a photo of his new aquarium. It is 6.6 gallons and has a filter and water heater. I got a thermometer to put on the side of the tank to make sure the temps stay warm in the water. I also put in the necessary things to remove chlorine and ammonia. He still has color loss but he is swimming around a TON in this tank. All over and I am not sure if this is a good sign? He darts down and up, etc.

I originally put one of those real plant bulbs in because they said it would grow in 21 days but mine did not grow and I threw it out because it made the water weird. Do you have any suggestions for how I can change my tank to make it better for Hubert (Hubie Boobie hehe)? I am going to get new things to put in. I also want to put pebbles on the ground.

Name:  266903_10150647948610436_503460435_19301749_2230642_o.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  28.0 KB
StacyPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #2 
Creat

I would suggest gravel and you could get an easy plant like java fern that would be fine, and have you cycled the tank?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #3 
fishman12

Get some gravel or sand, a cave (a terra cotta pot (make sure the hole is plugged) or a coffee cup will do), and some plants (http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=67565). And also get some AQ salt for medication.

Welcome to the forums!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #4 
StacyPaige

Oh and one other thing. These are the items I have for water and food.

Wardley Betta food pellets
Nutrafin qua plus tap water conditioner
nutrafin cycle biological aquarium supplement.
Dried blood worms for snack

I attached a photo of Hubert - he still looks sick. I bought bettafix by API because it is all natural and his symptoms appeared to be what was described on the bottle. I don't know if this is correct?

I want to make sure he does not die. He seems better than he was a few days ago since he is moving around more and swimming, eating, etc.
Name:  hubert1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  28.4 KB
Old 06-20-2011, 09:52 AM   #5 
StacyPaige

Hi everyone thank you for responding! Does cycling the tank mean let it run for 24 hours? If so I did not do this. Uh oh - is there anything I can do to make sure he is okay. He has been in there for almost 24 hours and is swimming around a lot.

I am going back to the store today to get whatever is needed. Like gravel, sand, and the other things you suggested.

I want my beta to live. I refuse to be a beta killer :( I already feel horrible that I believed the pet store idiots. My gut said research but then I just said, they know what they are talking about because they work there LOL -

<-- idiot.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #6 
Creat

cycling a tank, to put it simply, is when you allow beneficial bacteria to grow in the tank, removing harmful ammonia and nitrite but leaving nitrate which is removed by water changes however i believe that the nutrafin might have done this.. I would read the bottle and see if it says that.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #7 
StacyPaige

Nutrafin cycle says it does this! PHEW! I am heading to the pet store in 30 minutes to buy foliage and other things - gravel - I also need to get a new water heater.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you're going to cycle the tank you need to get a test kit to monitor nitrites and nitrates. The API freshwater master test kit is the one most recommended.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote