Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Canadians who buy on AB

I was wondering, whats the average cost of shipping a single betta in Canada? I have never bought anything live online, ever. But I see a Betta I have to have and I have a limit set by Hubby. If I can get a handle on shipping, I can bid. I don't mean down to the penny, but is it more like $15 or $50?

It would be from Quebec to Atlantic Canada... if that helps.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:25 AM   #2 
PewPewPew

You can contact one of the transhippers listed on the fish you are interested in's page for a quote. The same people generally handle the fish. Theyre usually very nice and get back to you quickly.

Its generally a fee (a small one) from the seller of the fish in thailand, usally around $5. After that and the payment of the fish, you pay the shipper the cost of getting the fish, paying for their license to do so (in part) as well as supplies to ship the fish as well as keep if for a few days in their home. I think my boyfriend payed $20 to ship it.

There are Canadian sellers on there- you wont need a transhipper if youre in that country. Also, look for american sellers. Email them and ask what their policies on shipping to Canada are. Some may need a transhipper if they dont have a license, but some sellers ARE the transhippers, so its worth a shot!

I believe you can narrow the search down to canadian sellers using the search box or something.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

I would be shipping from a Canadian Breeder to a Canadian home :) I have a fish already picked out, but I need to know if shipping is going to be more than the fish. If so, I'll just go with a pretty Opaque HM boy a few hours from me for $15 lol The breeder hasn't emailed back today, so I'm looking to see if anyone else has shipped in Canada to Canada or bought the same way.

Just wanting to know if this boy was worth it. No buying from USA or Thai for me.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Ohh! Would you mind sending the link? I promise, I wont steal it! LOL! I have too many as is.

Usually, those in the same country dont need to use transhippers or anything, and cost is based on distance the package will travel as well as if it need heat packs/cool packs and if you want express shipping or not.

Usually, shipping is anywhere from $15-35 (express). Its a reasonable price, and you usually wont pay less than that for shipping, unless its free.

Im surprised the shipper didnt post their prices! Perhaps if you live close enough, you can pick the fish up.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

She's about 12 hours away, no picking up :P If it's about $20, I can see the hubby letting me go with it. Prayers!!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

It might be!!! :D And eesh, no trips then! LOL! :D Haha.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #7 
CCBettas

Contact the seller and provide them with the address they will ship to and they can get nearly exact quote no prob.
12 hrs. away could be roughly $40 depending on how they are shipped.
CCBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #8 
briser

I contacted them to ship one betta to Nova Scotia and the transhipper in Quebec wanted 40$ :(
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #9 
CCBettas

Ya. It's not cheap...esp. with the gas prices and postal on strike.

It could be worse...it's $90 + $15/fish for me. :(
CCBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Transhipper? IN Canada? I thought those were used for USA to Canada only.

I messaged the breeder a few days aqgo, they got back to me last night with "Starts at $25" and that's all. I probably wouldn't suggest this breeder based on lack of communication and little attention to detail. Never again.