Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #1 
SillyCone

Fillet Updates (That alien popeye'd fish)

If you remember Fillet had a weird 10ish hours infection which lead to a huge pop-eye and near-death experience, in which you can find the whole story here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73112

It's been 5 days since I started the treatments and I promised an update so here it is;

I didn't want to bump (again) that thread because I don't need treatment help any longer so I rather not bring up my thread and drive the attention out of the people who need help.

ANYWAY!

His eye looks a bit less swollen and he started to eat 3 days ago, he is making bubblenests like mad because I made a 2 day treatment with a female in a floating QT tank inside his, so now he is a bubblenest freak haha :P
(Too bad Fillet, you pedophile, they are too young for you still!!!)

And I have a confession to make...

I was a bit ashamed of doing it so I kinda hide from the forum... On the first day of the treatment Fillet was dying, really, so desperate me and my mum put him on a wet cloth and we made a warm water + garlic mixture and with cotton buds we passed it over his eye... Looked like it "burned" the infection slightly and he got more active like it gave him a shock, that's when I got a few replies later and I rushed to the petshop to buy the stuff... I say I'm ashamed of doing that because you people said no to, so I didn't.. Later that day because the medicine was expired, I put him on water with garlic again, I cut the garlic into small pieces and put on his aquarium.. it stink garlic but I left the whole night.. His eye got really red but the infection was "gone" as the white ring around his eye, then I put the new medicine and 1 day later he started to eat...

I'm saying this because... I think, really, if I haven't do that, I think he wouldn't be with me now... And the photos I was posting was on a exactly angle you couldn't see my "mess" because when we put the cotton bud on his eye, we kinda took off the cloudy cover from his eye, but not completely, he was too tired for the procedure that we didn't force much on him, that's why he is having that "lid" hanging on his eye.. But it will fall off eventually (I hope)..

Well there, my conscience is clear.

And the photos;

(I just noticed he is having that worm thing on his mouth... idk for how long it's been in there but I haven't noticed before.. also he made a HUGE waste in 1 day... Should I be worried? It's like this one here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73035

Hmm.. I will continue the pop-eye treatment and not bother about that thing for the moment.. I can't afford to treat it for the time being.)

(I know the pics are quite bad but the medication is WAY too blue and slightly dense, so the pics gets bad).
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #2 
SillyCone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCone View Post
On the first day of the treatment Fillet was dying, really, so desperate me and my mum put him on a wet cloth and we made a warm water + garlic mixture and with cotton buds we passed it over his eye...
Sorry the garlic was later, we did a mixture of white vinegar and warm water on the eye with the cotton bud...
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #3 
GunsABlazin

Well if it worked, why be sorry?
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:14 PM   #4 
omgitslph

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsABlazin View Post
Well if it worked, why be sorry?
My thoughts exactly. Just because some people say not to do it doesn't mean it's set in stone. There are many different types of treatments (with some better than others). It's better to try what you can than do nothing and watch him suffer. You'll learn something from the experience no matter what the outcome. :) I'm so glad he's doing better. <3
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #5 
metalbetta

When it comes to fish diseases, I don't believe there is always just one sure-fire way to cure them. If it worked, there's no reason to be sorry. I'm glad to hear that he's back from the brink. Hopefully he continues to recover! Those pictures make me a sad panda though... I hate seeing bettas or any animals in pain like that for that matter. But his eye certainly looks better than in the original pictures!

I would just keep using epsom salt 2 tsp/gal in his tank to keep the swelling down and keep him comfy. If he'll eat them, I'd pick up some Jungle Anti Bacterial pellets to keep his infection from being an internal issue, or to combat it if it already has. I've never dealt with a popeye infection that severe, so if you can, do some research on it and see what fish meds might be able to help cure it. Can't wait to continue seeing updates!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote