Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #1 
Fancy

Complete newbie with a question about aquarium size.

Hello, I am a complete fish novice and I am inheriting a bettafish from a coworker. Fancy is currently in a tiny clear coffee mug and there is no way I am keeping him in there. My question is what size tank would be best for him. Would a 12 gallon be too big for him? I want to give him room to swim around but I do not want to stress him out if he will be uncomfortable with that much space. I have also been looking at a 5 gallon but these still seem kind of small to me. What size would be best for my new friend? I am supposed to be getting him in the next couple weeks and I would like to have everything set up for him so I can get him out of that coffee mug.

I do not know anything about bettafish so I will probably have many questions and any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #2 
Scienceluvr8

Hello! Welcome to the forum! Well, to answer your question, first i would ask you if you are asking about the 12 gallon because you already have one on hand? If so, that's great. That's more than enough room for your betta who will with out a doubt enjoy his much larger living space. By no means will you be "hurting" or "stressing" your betta by providing him with a tank of such a size. If anything, you are providing it with an excellent habitat! Basically, your goal should be to transfer your betta from his small living space as quickly as possible to a larger tank; most people recommend a betta to live in anything 2.5 gallons or greater. Therefore, the choice to house your betta in a 5 or 12 gallon is ultimately up to you, but I'm sure your betta will appreciate either or regardless of what you choose! I hope this helped somewhat in making your decision! :)
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

Bigger the better!
12gallons would be great..It is a good size...You may need to baffle the filter if it is too strong...also..you will need a heater if you don't have one already..Bettas are tropical fish they love their water warm.
I look forward to seeing pictures of fancy in his new home..whichever size you choose.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #4 
Fancy

Thank you very much. It looks like Fancy is going to be in the 12 gallon. I am thinking about adding some live plants also. Is this a good idea for someone who is completely new at this or should I wait on the live plants?

Scienceluvr8, a friend of mine has a 5 gallon hex tank and a 12 gallon kit still in their boxes. She had to move unexpectedly for her job and has never used either one. She is letting me have my pick of the two.

This forum is full of great information and I am learning a lot just by looking around. I am just afraid of hurting Fancy with my ignorance. He survived over a year in that tiny mug and I would feel horrible if I did something that hurts him now. Looks like I have some more reading to do. Thank you for all your help.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #5 
bettafish15

12 gallons would be great! I have my betta by himself in a 14 gallon, and he is in no way stressed ^^ In a 12g there would be room for some tankmates, such as cories, once your tank is cycled :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #6 
masshiimarro

yes, bigger tanks are better. they leave you with more options later on should u decide to add tankmates or divided..

as to plants, i think adding them would be a plus. it provides a more natural habitat for him and im sure he will appreciate it! bettas sometimes like to sleep or hide in the plants, its really cute.^^ they can also help you filter the water for ammonia and such since poop=plant food :) i find that anacharis or java ferns are great, anacharis being the easier of the two. just simply float them if you want, extremely low maintenance, if any. you should be able to find anacharis or java ferns in petsmart, petco, or your local fish stores if they carry plants. goodluck!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #7 
Fancy

I think I have it narrowed down these three plants. The Anubias, Java Fern and Anacharis. I want to give him places to hide but not overcrowd the tank. Does this sound alright?

Also, can I set everything up including the plants before adding him to the tank? Should I have the tank running a specific time frame before putting Fancy in? I apologize if these are really dumb questions.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #8 
masshiimarro

yup, sounds fine to me :) lol these arent dumb questions, everyone starts SOMEWHERE..
setting up the tank beforehand is what i would do. anubias is also another hardy plant. keep in mind not to bury the rhizom, or the... uhh... 'roots' of the anubias though, since they are usually grown on driftwood and such, the roots are in open water and get nutrients that way. if buried they will rot... the best thing to do with the anubias or java ferns imo is to get a piece of driftwood, and tie the anubias/ java to it. petsmart sells the anubias/java ferns tied on driftwood sometimes.

umm as to having the tank running... i dont think theres too much of a difference to timing, since theres no live animal in there to cycle it, it would just be sitting there. i would just put the betta in after properly acclimating him, and monitor the water conditions for ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, etc. you can get test kits at any petstore to help you monitor. make sure, however, to dechlorinate/condition the water.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote