Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #1 
omgitslph

Smile New tank questions

I'll be getting either a 20 gallon long or 30 gallon tank today and I have plenty of questions about setting it up. I've never had a tank larger than 10 gallons before so sorry if I sound dumb here. x_x;

Do I need to have a filter system in it or can I just do water changes? What types of weekly water changes should I be doing with and without a filter system. Pros and Cons to both?

How do I cycle a if I do get the filter system? Last time I had a filter in my 10 gallon it was set up when I was like 3 so I have no idea.

I saw something at PetCo that was an instant cycle thing so I didn't actually have to cycle. Will it work? Should I use it? I have 4 bettas I'd love to add into there with their dividers already. :) http://www.petco.com/product/111520/...t=OnSiteSearch

How many bettas can I keep in a 20 and 30 gallon tanked sectioned off with dividers? I figured it would be 5 gallons a fish, but I rather not stress them out.

I know some plastics can let harmful things into the water but are there some that are safe? I'd love to throw some of my old figures in there for decoration, but I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Also, since I'm already making a thread here. I have a 5 gallon tank that came with a pump to make a waterfall with no filter. That doesn't need to be cycled does it? I had a bad experience with that tank about 3 years ago, but I'd love to try again with it.

I think that's all the questions I have for now. If I have any more I'll post em. Thank you in advance for all of your help!
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 
TonyK

IMO if your going to run a tank 20 to 30 gallons you will want a filter. 100% water changes once a week is alot of work. A cycled tank requires alot less work. If ou cycle the tank don't worry about those instant cycle chemicals you can buy. Just do a fish in tank cycle and do partial water changes 3 times a week and eventually the tank will cycle.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
questions, setup, tank