Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Snails

First, I bought this guy from a pet shop (small, private, the guy actually knows what he's talking about kind of pet shop) and I think he said he was a horntail or something? I already forgot but I did ask and he said he'd be great for a 5gal betta tank. I just want to look up more info on the care of them; he deserves a good home too. :) This is the same snail he's just different colors on either side.
Also sorry about the poor quality.
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m635/sarahlydear/Napoleon/?action=view&current=fish045.jpg

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m635/sarahlydear/Napoleon/?action=view&current=fish045.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZh ttp%3A%2F%2Fs1135.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fm635% 2Fsarahlydear%2FNapoleon%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26curr ent%3Dfish043.jpg

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m635/sarahlydear/Napoleon/?action=view&current=fish045.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZh ttp%3A%2F%2Fs1135.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fm635% 2Fsarahlydear%2FNapoleon%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26curr ent%3Dfish044.jpg

Second, I'm getting another tank and I like having some diversity in it (I know I shouldn't be getting bettas then but they're so fun!) so I was looking at Malaysian trumpet snails. I read that as long as your tank doesn't get too dirty and there isn't a bunch of food left over then they don't take over. Also they stay out of the way most of the time and are great for plants.

And one last things not really related to snails; Does anyone know of some shrimp that could be put in with a mild betta? Besides Ghost Shrimp?

Thanks. :)
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Looks like a ramshorn...a common snail....he shouldn't have sold it to you...it should have been free......they can reproduce pretty fast especially if you over feed...personally I like common snails and have lots of them in all my NPT's...they all have a job of sorts....lol......but I do have to remove 100's on a regular basis....snails are fine in 5gals, just keep them under control and keep up with water changes......the poop produced by snail are better for the tank than decaying fish food and/or decaying plants.

Trumpet snails are livebearers and are great for soil based tanks or really any tank when they are kept under control....they can be a pest and you may not know how many you have since they bury in the substrate....shine a flashlight in the tank a couple of hours after lights out and you will see them crawling up the walls....the small ones can sometimes get into the filter and mess up the impeller...I have never had one break due to them...but it can make a loud racket when it happens.....

Shrimp...RCS or red cherry shrimp are easy and reproduce fast and they come in several different colors too...I have both the reds and yellow....they have blue, green and white...I think......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-26-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #3 
Sarahlydear

Well it was only for like $1, but I'll keep that in mind. Would I be able to put him in a tank with some trumpet snails and maybe a few shrimp? I'm not talking about huge amounts, more like 3-4shrimp per tank and I'll probably regularly take out the trumpet snails. I have 5 tanks to spread everyone out over I'm just wondering who I can put where. Also I plan on using sand as my substrate so I thought the trumpet snails would be great for that.

RCS, I saw those and thought they were cute so I might have a few of them. It wouldn't hurt the betta if he nibbled on them a bit right? Sounds bad but you know how it goes.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #4 
Sarahlydear

One more thing: I'm going to quarantine everyone, but do you know of somewhere I can buy that will give me good, healthy stock?
Thanks. :)