Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 AM   #11 
Sakura8

One mating can produce several groups of spawn and females can start spawning around a month old, so yeah, guppies are pretty prolific. I keep watching the video - she swims along pretty well for her size, doesn't she? Maybe the larva could be mashed up if necessary, although that does sound kinda gross. I hope she starts eating though, she seems too spunky to go down just because she won't eat. Haha, and after what she's been through, she probably IS shocked at everything. "Where am I now? What happened to me?"
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #12 
coet

I'm extremely certain it's a guppy. About how big is it?

I use to breed guppies, mollies, and platies. Guppies all look the same when they are fry, and get their coloring later. If it is a guppy, don't put it with bettas. Guppies are extremely slow moving and are easy targets for bettas. I've seen a betta swing a guppy around by the tail, after tearing another's tail to shreds and killing it. :(

Guppies go well with almost any tropical community fish, however I don't recommend tetras other than Neons. Wait before you go and get it tank mates. It needs to grow up first, otherwise it will become a snack, unless you have dense plant and ornament coverage, but then you run into a problem with feeding it, because coming to the surface can mean the end.

At my PetSmart we have fry food. I forget the brand, but it's called something along the lines of "First bites." It's in either a yellow or white package. I want to say it's by Hikari, but don't hold me to it. Or, you can feed it a little bit of Sally's Frozen Brine Shrimp. I fed all of my fry this. Bettas and other tropical fish gobble it up too, but it can be messy, so be extremely careful. If taken care of properly, guppies can become full grown in a little over a month.

PetSmart only mixes minnows with their feeder goldfish, which kinda makes me want to say it's not a guppy, but it's extremely possible that a baby guppy could have gone through the filtration system into the goldfish tanks. We keep a "maternity ward" tank at our store where we place all fry. Sometimes they end up in other tanks. We just move them back. Snails are the worst about this.
coet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 AM   #13 
Punki

She seems like she is swimming hard to get around, putting alot of strength into it then hanging in the middle. Her back tail is half ripped though, like the corner is gone, so i thought maybe she had to push harder to get around. No longer panting though. She actually just swam up to her sponged airhose and checked it out against the current. Shes still got some life left in her. I need a magnifying glass though, i want to see all the details of her, finding her top fins took awhile, and finding the bottoms is a rare glimpse, i want to check them out XD
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #14 
Sakura8

Yeah, it's Hikari's First Bites. I got a free sample when I bought one of those Tom's Dip and Pour things that you use at Petsmart to bag fish.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #15 
Sakura8

Aww, you got yourself a new baby to spoil. I can't wait until she gets a bit bigger and starts coloring up for you.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #16 
Punki

Shes about a cm long, transparent, and makes a 2 day old mosquito larvae look way to large to eat. She gets around but seemed slow, i wasnt sure if that was normal, but she tries hard. Yeah id say shes about 1/10th of my bettas size, definitely would be fish food in seconds for them. Right now shes in a 1gallon kritter keeper with a sponge filter/airhose. I couldnt find any of the others in the pond so shes alone with minor damage.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #17 
Punki

lol yeah shes a baby girl? i guess :)) If she survives a bit longer ill have to think up a name, ive seen those first bites at petsmart, if tomorrow mornings feeding try fails i will try and make a trip up there.
Maybe ill make an offtopic thread and update on her. Im comfy in this betta forum, i dont wanna make new friends in another area *whines* lol
Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #18 
Sakura8

I just looked at my ruler - she's so TINY! I bet you could keep her in a cereal bowl and still lose her in there. Maybe they all look like it's hard to get around at that size, plus if her fins are a bit torn, she might have to put in extra effort. Once there were live fry in the mollie tank at one of my local pet stores but they looked like they were older than this girl, by the sounds of it. And who knows, maybe she's a he?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Haha, go to the "I Have No Self Control" thread. We talk about everything there, including Great Danes and corydoras catfish, so guppy fry updates would be welcomed. I know, I love this forum. The people here are so friendly and helpful about everything.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #20 
coet

That'll be okay for now, but you want to get it in a aquarium soon. Guppies are tropical so they need their water maintained similar to bettas. Luckily, guppies are so small when fully grown that you can keep them in >10g, unlike most tropicals, so if you don't want to go all out with a 10g you can get less.

I've never heard of feeding them mosquito larve, or Sea Monkeys. From what I know, Sea Monkeys are a form of brine shrimp. So, that's your call.

As far as her injuries, she should be okay. I keep saying she, but I don't know the prime age for sexing guppies. I just waited for mine to get color. Males get really bold and beautiful and the females stay kind bland, sorta like bettas. :)

Sakura; My store doesn't give free samples, ever. So sad. :(
coet is offline   Reply With Quote