Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #1 
Kato Aaron

What live plants

I was thinking about spawning again soon and I was going to try live plants this time. I know java moss can be used in spawning tanks but what other plants can be used? is there special care involved with live plants? also would i be able to put a snail in to clean up better?
Thank you :)
Kato Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Depends on what the plants are for.
For nest areas; use large leaf plant that reaches the surface or use a floating plant.
For hideouts; use shrub like plants or something you can jam together (I use anacharis)
For fry; the moss balls looks great.

All plants will, to some level, give you infusoria.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 
craziloki

Almost any plant are good for fish. As far as spawning, Im not sure. I would imagine any type of moss like java, willow, xmas and so on. However, I do know that java is one of the few mosses that like warmer temperatures as the betta does. Willow and xmas prefer cooler. BUT! I have both in my betta tank and all is flourishing! I also imagine that grasses are good. I have some dwarf grass and it would be excellant for fry! My shrimplets love all my plants. Nerites are a good snail to compliment the tank. I personally like assassin snails because everytime I recieve a mail order of plants they come with hitchhikers (unwanted snails), and my assassins eat them for me . Apple snails are very big and very dirty. They are beautiful though!
Hope this helps!
craziloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #4 
Kato Aaron

alright :] moss balls are awesome! i think i might get one! lol ^^ your posts were helpful- thank you! assassin snails look cool :D
Kato Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote