Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #11 
Luimeril

shock... is hard to explain. you know that feeling you get, when someone puts an ice cube down your shirt? it's like that, but for their whole body. it happens, when you put them in water that's a totally different themp, than the water they're used to. that's why some people euth bettas by dumping them in freezing water. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #12 
Sivan

Then I don't know if it was shock. The water was warm and the same temperature.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....

I have some questions to maybe help you figure out what went wrong...

Was he eating and acting his normal self before the water change
When was the last water change and how much
Water temp
Amount of Prime used
Did you wash your hands before you started
Did you change the source water or any changes with the source water...like a home water filter...etc......
How old was he and how long did he live in that tank/container
Do you have any water testing supplies...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #14 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sorry for your loss.....

I have some questions to maybe help you figure out what went wrong...

Was he eating and acting his normal self before the water change
When was the last water change and how much
Water temp
Amount of Prime used
Did you wash your hands before you started
Did you change the source water or any changes with the source water...like a home water filter...etc......
How old was he and how long did he live in that tank/container
Do you have any water testing supplies...
1. Yes. He was eating fine and his behavior was normal.
2. My hands and supplies are always cleaned before any changes.
3. The only difference with the source water was that it came from my upstairs bathtub instead of my downstairs one. I cleaned his tank upstairs a week and a half ago and had no problems.
4. I purchased him at an unknown age from PetSmart in August 2010. He had been living in this particular tank for over a month and had lived in it whenever I had off from college and had to come home.
5. I do have water testing supplies, but I do not know what they test beyond pH. I never used them before because he was my one and only fish. At your recommendation last year I never changed his pH anyway, due to health problems he had, local water conditions, and bad information from PetSmart.

EDIT:: I accidentally skipped the water temp. I did not have a thermometer in the tank, but it was comfortably warm. I will guess it was around 78-82 degrees, nothing higher than what I normally put in form him.

I also accidentally skipped the Prime question. Sorry. I used 5 drop of prime. He had about 3-4 gallons of water at the time.

Last edited by Sivan; 06-27-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

The few things come to mind with a fish that takes a sudden turn for the worse after a water change.....shock is a big one...either temp or chemistry...if it had been nearly two weeks since the last water change it could have been pH/nitrate shock related especially since the source water location changed..even though the water came from the same house...the different location may or may not contain some differences in pH due to residual in the pipes.. along with this and water not being changed at least weekly the water chemistry can change as natural decomp happens making the water more acid along with nitrate build-up, however, this usually takes longer than 2 weeks and more involved.......it doesn't take much change in pH to affect a fish and kill it.....
To prevent this from happening-make regular water changes using the same source water and location and acclimate the Betta to both temp and chemistry of the new tank water by adding small amount of the new tank water to the holding container over a period of time...dumping half and repeating to the tolerance of the Betta and allowing the source water to run for a minute to clear the pipes before using it to fill the tank....

Another thought....not enough dechlorinator used or forgotten, a toxic substance some how entered the tank by accident......from hands, supplies, air...etc....stuff happens....

How did you check the temp, however, unless it was a big temp difference..... temp shock with a healthy fish usually will not kill it

Again sorry for your loss....stuff happens to all of us from time to time....so don't give up.....
Old 06-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #16 
Sivan

Now that you mention it, nobody uses the upstairs bathtub for some reason. I filled with tank with water from the shower stall last time, which is used everyday. Fabio was used to getting water changes every week, give or take a day or so, but this week I had been busy with work and did not have time to do so. Today seemed like the perfect opportunity and I did not want him to be in bad water much longer....

I felt the temperature in his cup to the tank with two different fingers (I am so careful that I do not dip one finger from the old water cup into the freshly done tank) and it felt identical.

I am just so sad. I really do feel like I killed him and I just lost my goldfish last month (but he was given to me diseased, I know there was nothing I could do for him really). I guess I should have done a partial water change if I planned on using water from a different set of pipes. I wish I knew...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Stuff happens...whats important...is you know what to do to prevent it....we all make mistakes...whats important is that we learn from them, grow and move on......don't give up.....look forward to hearing/seeing your next Betta.....
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #18 
betta dude

is his water to warm are his gills pumping if its warm put him in cold water asap if his gills are pumping

study his gils hes alive if there pumping

Last edited by dramaqueen; 07-03-2011 at 08:44 PM.
betta dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #19 
Indyfishy

This story makes me so sad =( I'm so sorry about your little Fabio. Don't blame yourself for this, mistakes happen (i almost killed one of my own fish once by forgetting to add water conditioner x_x), and it sounds like you took really good care of him!! Fish are difficult creatures to care for, there's so many freak things that can happen to them. But that doesn't mean you should give up, there are alot of little bettas out there that need pet parents like you that will take good care of them!! Fabio was lucky that you chose him as your pet, it sounds like he had a great life with you! Please don't be down on yourself, this wasn't your fault, no one could have seen it coming. I'm so sorry that you lost him and your goldfish so close together, the death of pets is so hard =(.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote