Originally Posted by Oldfishlady
Sorry for your loss.....
I have some questions to maybe help you figure out what went wrong...
Was he eating and acting his normal self before the water change
When was the last water change and how much
Amount of Prime used
Did you wash your hands before you started
Did you change the source water or any changes with the source water...like a home water filter...etc......
How old was he and how long did he live in that tank/container
Do you have any water testing supplies...
1. Yes. He was eating fine and his behavior was normal.
2. My hands and supplies are always cleaned before any changes.
3. The only difference with the source water was that it came from my upstairs bathtub instead of my downstairs one. I cleaned his tank upstairs a week and a half ago and had no problems.
4. I purchased him at an unknown age from PetSmart in August 2010. He had been living in this particular tank for over a month and had lived in it whenever I had off from college and had to come home.
5. I do have water testing supplies, but I do not know what they test beyond pH. I never used them before because he was my one and only fish. At your recommendation last year I never changed his pH anyway, due to health problems he had, local water conditions, and bad information from PetSmart.
EDIT:: I accidentally skipped the water temp. I did not have a thermometer in the tank, but it was comfortably warm. I will guess it was around 78-82 degrees, nothing higher than what I normally put in form him.
I also accidentally skipped the Prime question. Sorry. I used 5 drop of prime. He had about 3-4 gallons of water at the time.