Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #21 
coet

Alright, sounds like a plan. I'll make you a promise. If he's there Friday, when I get paid, I'll get him. I said this last week and ended up with Berry. :]

I have a question, though. When I put a pellet in for Berry this morning he went straight for it and took it in. But after that he bobbed his head up and down a few times, and then spat it back out. He went after it later when it was a little softer and got it again, but he spat it out again. He went for it a third time, but after that he gave up and would just stare at it. I left him alone for a little bit, and when I came back he got it again and spat it out and it sank to the bottom. Then he kinda hovered over it in a "My pellet!!!" way. I tried to give him one of the blood worms, but he just kept spitting it out. Do you have any clue what could be going on?
coet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #22 
Sakura8

Haha, deal. Berry could use someone to flare at.

It sounds like the first time with the pellet, it was too big and by the time it was soft enough to eat he was too frustrated or maybe his throat hurt a little from trying. When you feed him and he bobs his head, can you hear a "crunching" sound? That means he's trying to swallow the thing whole so I wonder if in his two attempts to eat, he scratched his throat with the pellet a bit. You can try pre-soaking the pellet in his tank water until it's already soft so he can just take a bite from it instead of swallowing whole. You could even use a blunt toothpick to pull a little bite from the softened pellet for him and feed him that way. You may have to just mentally gauge for yourself if a pellet is too big for him and crush it or soak it accordingly. For my girls, they can eat the Omega pellets and love them but I have to pick through and find the super small ones to give to them or they end up carrying it around in their mouths until it's soft enough. He sounds hilarious though, guarding it from all comers. It didn't matter if he really wanted it or not, it was his doggone it and no one else's.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #23 
CrowntailTwitchy57

bettas are like potato chips; can't have just 1!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #24 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailTwitchy57 View Post
bettas are like potato chips; can't have just 1!
Amen to that.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #25 
apollo01

Hi, I am also a new Betta fish owner, just got mine today. I am a vet tech but never had much experience with fish and fell in love with this beautiful blue, turquise, and black Crowntail male today at PetsMart. Anyhow I joined this forum to learn more about my new little buddy and was horrified to find that I should have bought a heater and filter and all this stuff to go with him. He is in a 1 gallon kit right now, is swimming around hiding in the decorative plants I put in and seems to be enjoying himself. I was glad to hear however, thanks to OFL, that his being in a 1 gallon may not be a bad thing. Also since I work with Banfield, inside Petsmart, I plan on getting him a heater tomorrow, but for now he is such a treat to have. He and my other little buddy ( a 106# Doberman) are making friends, Apollo (the dog) and Jack (the Betta) are nose to nose of the kit just staring.... wish my camera would work to take a pic. But anyhow thanks for all the help even though it wasnt my original post. I appreciate it!
apollo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #26 
Sakura8

Hi apollo01, welcome to the forum and we're glad to have you. Yes, you will need a heater although maybe not right away depending on how hot it is in your area. For a 1 gallon, filter is probably not needed and would most likely just take up space.

The thing about 1 gallon tanks is this: imagine you spend your whole life in a little cup and then one day, someone puts in you in a big tank. At least, compared to your cup, it's big. You have no idea it's "only" a gallon, it's bigger than the 8 oz cup you were in so it's paradise. So from that point of view, being in a gallon tank is certainly not cruel as long as you keep up with the water changes.

All that about tank size said, I bet it won't be too long before you upgrade your tank size, apollo01. Not because you feel your betta is cramped in his 1g but because you want a bigger tank so you can divide it and have two bettas!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #27 
coet

I'll try, Sakura. It was pretty cute with the pellet thing.

I've got bad news about Snowy, my possible second betta. I was checking on him at work today and he had a bad case of bloating and he was floating on his side at the top of his betta keeper. When he would try to swim down he would get pulled back up. Another betta was like that. I took both of them into the isolation room for treatment. The other betta I know isn't going to make it, but I have hope for Snowy. However, he was trying to, uh, "pass" something, and this something was bright red. He had been "passing" it for about two hours when I left tonight. I've got some pictures and a video of him and the other betta. Snowy was doing better after a 100% water change and some treatment, but the other betta wasn't doing any better. Any idea on what could be wrong? Here's the photobucket album with everything (Snowy is the white one, the other one is dark purplish). Everything was taken with my cell phone, so forgive the quality. The video has a lot of background noise from the store's music and the tank in the QR, but it's not that loud in reality:

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/...zabetht/Snowy/

I'm so worried about them. I don't think the dark one is going to make it. I have a little hope for Snowy, but if I get him he's being isolated for a little while before he and Berry get a tank together. I'm definitely talking to my pet care manager to see if we can take care of these bettas better. The pellets had been left in their water all day, and I'm sure that happens week after week! And one of the girls over feeds fish like crazy! I looked at the tank with the baby fish in it and she didn't crush up the flakes for them or anything like she should! I'm writing corporate about her. I'm tired of her doing a slack job.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #28 
coet

Apollo, I'm sorry, I meant to respond to you in my previous post! I'm glad my thread helped you. I'm glad that a fellow PetSmart employee joined the forum, even if it is Banfeild. My store wants a Banfeild so bad!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #29 
coet

Sorry to do three posts in a row, but I could edit the other two. :[

Sakrua; I think you're right about the throat thing. He keeps opening his mouth in the water like he's trying to make it hurt less, or something. I feel terrible. I never thought about the pellets hurting him. I'm going to get some frozen brine shrimp to feed him. Makes a horrid mess, but I'll feed him before water changes so I can be sure to get the stuff out. After a couple of days I'll try pellets again. If the same things happens, I'll return the pellets and just go strictly frozen. He can't eat the blood worms, they're too big.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #30 
Sakura8

Okay, first about Snowy. Looks like a roundworm to me. Sadly, many of the fish at my local Petsmart have them (although the employees deny it vehemently). I don't know what you can do in your capacity as an employee and not an owner but if you can give him something like Jungle Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets, he might be able to purge himself of those. Also, it was hard to tell by the video so it COULD be possible he was just pooing. Sometimes it's long and it'll hang there for a long time before it finally drops off. It drives me nuts with my girls because it's kind of uh disgusting. But you said it was bright red and that's not good. Poo should be brown, the color of their pellets. Is it possible that the girl you were talking about earlier fed him red flakes, possibly goldfish food?

Both bettas are having swim bladder troubles because of their bloating. The purple guy (I'll call him Grape) sounds like his bloating is worse. Short of purchasing him, there is not much you can do because he requires some intensive treatment, such as expensive meds and aquarium salt and frequent water changes. I don't know how your store looks on euthanization but if Grape starts suffering, you may need to buy him just to euthanize him. :( If Snowy gets some parasite meds and is fasted, he may make it.

Definitely talk to your pet care manager. We betta people love employees like you, you are our "man on the inside," so to speak.

Don't feel bad about Berry. OFL says fish don't feel pain quite the same way we do. It's probably more of a discomfort. But smaller pieces or softer pellets will hopefully make it easier for him. You can get brine shrimp but yes, it is such a mess-maker. Frozen bloodworms are really easy for them to eat because they're very skinny. A few of those a day make a nice treat. I like the Hikari flat pack of frozen bloodworms because I can use a hammer to break off a small chunk and keep it thawed in the refrigerator for a day or two.

Keep me posted on Snowy and Grape (sounds like a snow cone, mmm, it was hot today).