betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

ICK...advise help needed...:(

Housing
What size is your tank?29 gallons
What temperature is your tank?77degrees
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?yes somewhat..non-adjustable heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 yellow guppies and 3 platies and 3 apple snails..

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?New life spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish?Daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?Yesterday my betta had 2 small dots on his face..I tried not to panick and told myself maybe it was just sand....Then this morning I noticed 2 more white dots on his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?He is eating and acting normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?Not yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

I've had my guppies and platys for almost 2 weeks...They seemed fine..healthy...So we added our betta in the 29 gallon...all was well...they are getting along great...So 3 days ago I went and got new plants for them to hide in...Yesterday is when I started to notice the dots on my bettas head....Then the next morning (this morning) he has a few on his fin....My guppies and platys are still acting fine...no spots on them yet...no flashing either...I am pretty sure what my betta has is ick ...Not sure if it is from the guppies/platys because they are still acting healthy and fine... or the plants?..Or maybe somehow he had it all along and the other tank he was in just didn't have the best lighting...in any case...I am looking for the best way to treat this...At this point I need to treat the whole tank right? What is the best way to treat for ick? I plan on finding an adjustable heater today so I can slowly raise the temperature...Is there anything else I can try in combination with raising the temp.?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #2 
Sakura8

The guppies and platies probably brought it in but they don't have it because they developed a resistance to the ones they have. There's a theory that ich is almost always present in the aquarium and it's only when a fish is stressed by new additions that he becomes susceptible to them. Any more spots?

Get him in a QT because it will be easier to treat. You can treat with a med but aquarium salt and heat will work just as well for a mild case. 1 tsp per gallon and I've read heat as high as 90* but I'd stick with 84-86* and just make sure he's not having any trouble breathing (warmer the water, the less oxygen). The key with ich is to change the water daily so you get rid of all the parasites that drop off before they reattach.

You may want to get everyone out of the tank and wash everything with warm water and vinegar.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I just caught my one guppy rub against a rock..
I do believe I'll have to treat the whole tank now...dang...
I'll be going to petsmart sometime this evening.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #4 
bahamut285

I've had instant success with a combination of Malachite Green and Heat Treatment when my goldies got ich.

I jacked up their temperature (slowly, lol) to 85, they didn't seem to be bothered by it. I waited a day then medicated as per the directions on the box. Ich literally vanished by the next day. I dosed the tank the second time as a good measure, retaining the 85 heat for yet another 24 hours.

After that, took out the heater, did massive water change (I think 70-80%?) to get the green out, then Goldies were right as rain! <33

The heat speeds up the Ich life cycle so they fall into the water faster so you can kill them XD. I hope they get well soon! <3
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:46 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Thanks!
I couldn't find malachite green..I did find "coppersafe"though. the reviews online look pretty good so far..and I got a new heater. boy oh boy you fish are expensive!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

Be carful with coppersafe, that stuff is HARSH on fish and your tank. IMO, salt would be best right now since it doesn't kill your beneficial bacteria whereas coppersafe will. You don't want to have to recycle a tank with that many fish in it already.

Salt:
Add salt at 1tsp/gal 3 times, 12 hours apart. Perform a 30-60% water change every day and replace the salt afterward. Increase temp to 84*, no higher (higher temps increase change on secondary bacterial infections). Continue salt for 14 days, no longer...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Be carful with coppersafe, that stuff is HARSH on fish and your tank. IMO, salt would be best right now since it doesn't kill your beneficial bacteria whereas coppersafe will. You don't want to have to recycle a tank with that many fish in it already.

Salt:
Add salt at 1tsp/gal 3 times, 12 hours apart. Perform a 30-60% water change every day and replace the salt afterward. Increase temp to 84*, no higher (higher temps increase change on secondary bacterial infections). Continue salt for 14 days, no longer...
Good point..I really don't want to mess up my cycle..
The bottle mentions that it doesn't interfere with biological filtration...I am not sure how much of that to believe though...
I know my plant fertilizer has copper in it...But in a much...much..more dilute amount...hmm...
There is so much contradicting info on the web regarding ick when typed into the search engine...
I have definitely learned my lesson on the importance of properly quarantining new fish..
I believe I will start off by trying the salt...Right now I haven't added anything yet..I am just slowly working on raising the temperature... I am about to make a 50% water change.