Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #1 
thePWNISHER

Online buying and Transhipper questions

-Intro-
Okay, So I'm really intrigued that if I youtube a few of the more exotic breeds of Bettas I find that when I search local pet stores all I can find are the same unhealthy not sure what colors they really are types. Its sad to see them but if your a fish hobbyist appearance is a big part of what you invest your time and money into.

-Question-
So if I buy online most of the online breeders seem to be from out of the country. Then there is this unnamed transhipper middle-man person you have to get in contact with and also extra shipping costs. How does it all work? I've seen posts here that talk about $100s of dollars to get the fish you want and sometimes someone saying that its just $5 extra. Can someone help clarify this mystery?
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #2 
Tisia

basically you pay the breeder the price of the auction + generally about $5 for their shipping fee and they'll send it to the transhipper you choose, once it gets to the transhipper, you'll pay their fees, plus whatever shipping option they offer that you choose and they'll send it to you. here's Jennifer Viveiros' page to give you an idea of costs, though it will vary by transhipper
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I just payed twice as much for a Canadian breeder Betta than I would for a Thai Betta :(

Last edited by Pitluvs; 06-27-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #4 
thePWNISHER

Wow, her page is awesome in expalining everything. I wish they'd just sticky that for anything to do with online transhipper junk. It made no sense to me but now I understand everything. So it expect to pay about $50-70 for 1 fish through something like aquabid.com man they are expensive compared to the $6 guys that are falling apart on the shelves at walmart.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Kinda like buying a $50 mutt of craigslist or going to a reputable breeder for a $1200 purebred lol
Old 06-28-2011, 04:02 AM   #6 
nel3

would gold packs be efficient to send from Thailand->Montreal Canada at this time of year? the Canadian transhipper (David) said thailand (embettafarms)->montreal (David's house) would be $20. i will go pick it up myself personally when it arrives at his house. he didnt say if it was express or priority shipping. which is better? i have yet to hear the confirmed shipping date on the fish but its useful to kno this before hand.

Last edited by nel3; 06-28-2011 at 04:05 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Nel, quicker is better so Express definitely. I asked David the same thing last night and was quoted $15 for shipping to him, so I would be careful if he's giving out different quotes for different people.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Nel, quicker is better so Express definitely. I asked David the same thing last night and was quoted $15 for shipping to him, so I would be careful if he's giving out different quotes for different people.
ty pitluvs, i will ask how much is express shipping. it will probably be better for the fish anyway.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #9 
Pitluvs

Oh for sure! We have our boy coming via Greyhound Bus. I don't trust Canada Post right now lol

Have you checked out www.canadabetta.com? They are in Montreal. A little expensive but no shipping. Just a thought! Do post pics of your new Betta!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Oh for sure! We have our boy coming via Greyhound Bus. I don't trust Canada Post right now lol

Have you checked out www.canadabetta.com? They are in Montreal. A little expensive but no shipping. Just a thought! Do post pics of your new Betta!
i did come across Canadabetta, nice stock but not the dream fish i found on AB. unfortunately i only have one pic of it (3mts old), more will surely come if all goes well. if i wanted a nice betta i'd just go to Nature pet shop. they have crowntails, lyre tails, DT, VT and a good variety of colours even 4 white bettas and 2 blue/red marbles. none more than $15 each. the shop closest to me has 90% regular red and blue VT and CT, so less variety.

thankfully Canada Post is back up but not full speed.

how does the process of claiming the fish from the transhippers go? is it by proof of residence marked on the box or do i have to supply a pic of the betta if +2 bettas arrive in 1 big box?

Last edited by nel3; 06-28-2011 at 11:49 AM.