Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #1 
Jessicarbeebe

Corrodded color turning fin

What is wrong with my betta's tail? It looks corroded. #betta#fishhttp://t.co/6v9qJah
Jessicarbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicarbeebe View Post
What is wrong with my betta's tail? It looks corroded. #betta#fishhttp://t.co/6v9qJah
That's just it's coloring. A red crown tail with some turquoise. My crown tail has that as well.
Corroding mean decaying or tearing. And any corroded color probably means ammonia poisoning, which this is not.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #3 
Jessicarbeebe

Thanks for your response! I was thinking corroded in the sense that it looks almost like a corroded battery but with a bluish color - my co-worker thought it was a color change from the day it began months ago but as it grows... it just doesn't look smooth. I might be paranoid.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Hmm, it "might" be ammonia poisoning... Or your co-worker might be right. Betta's change color all the time! :D
How often do you clean his tank? And what size is his tank?
Old 06-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #5 
Jessicarbeebe

3 gallon tank - clean it every 2-3 weeks but keep a close eye on it with test strips... it's completely cycled so I normally have no problems.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #6 
youlovegnats

Hmmmm...it might be poisoning then.
In a 3 gal., even with a filter, you should be doing one 20% and one 80% change a week.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #7 
Jessicarbeebe

he doesn't seem to be suffering any symptoms. swims all day. eats like a pig. building a bubble nest as I type.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

It still doesn't cover the fact that if it IS ammonia poisoning- it's irreversible.
I'd quarantine him in a small bowl with 1tsp of aquarium salt per gallon and keep the water at 76F just to be safe.
One of my fish was fine one night (flaring, swimming- no signs of anything wrong) and was dead the next morning. It's always a good thing to be on the safe side. But what you choose to do is up to you, I'm just trying to help. :)
Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #9 
Jessicarbeebe

Thanks for the tips. This has been going on for awhile - a gradual color change. He has a heater set at 78 degrees. I add salt with every water change and I just changed his water so we'll see what happens but I've done that several times since the change started several months ago and the new water and salt doesn't seem to stop it - that's why I was thinking either color change or weird fungus - who knows. I'll take percautions on ammonia poisoning but I'm pretty confident that isn't it. So ammonia poisoning can turn them funky colors?

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-28-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: language
Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #10 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicarbeebe View Post
Thanks for the tips. This has been going on for awhile - a gradual color change. He has a heater set at 78 degrees. I add salt with every water change and I just changed his water so we'll see what happens but I've done that several times since the change started several months ago and the new water and salt doesn't seem to stop it - that's why I was thinking either color change or weird fungus - who knows. I'll take percautions on ammonia poisoning but I'm pretty confident that isn't it. So ammonia poisoning can turn them funky colors?
OK that's good. Maybe not put in the salt anymore? Since you have been using it for quite some time now...
Hmmm...
Yeah, ammonia poisoning turns their body/fins a dull greyish color...but his fins seem to be a turquoise...
It may just be his coloring after all. :D

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 06-28-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Tags
betta, change, color, corroded, fin