Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #1791 
bahamut285
Member
 
bahamut285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLinz View Post
I know, I am just asking if it is actually dangerous for me to have him fed 2 pellets a day while I'm gone (in regards to ammonia buildup). I just don't really have the heart to leave him hungry for 5 days.. but if I absolutely have to, I guess I could.
Maybe feed him 2 pellets every other day, so feed him and water change before you leave. So:

First day: W/C and feed
2nd: no feed
3rd: feed
4th: no feed
5th: return home feed and w/c or if you're not home then feed
6th: return home by this time and w/c

So you'll feed him 3 times maximum, so you won't feel as bad and will have minimum ammonia build up.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #1792 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
i have an important question. i know i procrastinated/forgot to ask about this deatil but i dont know if i have to pay the transhipper seperately or the price of the fish and the shipping to the transhipper. apparently the fish will be in tommorow o.o.

edit: called the transhipper and got the details. i just sent the money for the fish to the seller. all thts left is to go tomorrow to pay and pick up the fish.

Last edited by nel3; 06-29-2011 at 03:20 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #1793 
Squidmagician
New Member
 
Squidmagician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
I've got a few quick questions...

1) When we first put Al into his new tank a few days ago, he was pretty active - swimming around and exploring everything. But the last couple of days he's been pretty... well... lazy. He spends most of his time either resting on the bottom of his tank or floating around near the top or sometimes resting on top of his thermometer, which seems to be a favorite spot. If I walk over and startle him, he darts away and swims around for bit, but then he settles right back in. He did a lot of just hanging around before, but I figured it was because he just didn't have much room to swim... So do you think he's just a mellow little guy or should I be concerned?

2) His tank has a colored LED light, which we've been leaving on at night. He seems to like it, but I just want to be sure it's okay... It is, right? We always turn it off in the morning, so he gets about 12 hours with and 12 without.

3) He hasn't seemed very interested in eating since we moved him. He didn't eat anything yesterday, that I noticed. And he might have eaten one of his pellets this morning, but I'm not sure it didn't just sink. I know he can go without food for a while, so it's not an emergency... And I'm thinking he's probably just getting used to his new environment still, but again, I just want to be sure.
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #1794 
bahamut285
Member
 
bahamut285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
i have an important question. i know i procrastinated/forgot to ask about this deatil but i dont know if i have to pay the transhipper seperately or the price of the fish and the shipping to the transhipper. apparently the fish will be in tommorow o.o.
Price of the fish: Goes to breeder
Shipping FROM Thailand to your country: Transshipper
Shipping TO your house: Transshipper

Apparently.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #1795 
bahamut285
Member
 
bahamut285's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmagician View Post
I've got a few quick questions...

1) When we first put Al into his new tank a few days ago, he was pretty active - swimming around and exploring everything. But the last couple of days he's been pretty... well... lazy. He spends most of his time either resting on the bottom of his tank or floating around near the top or sometimes resting on top of his thermometer, which seems to be a favorite spot. If I walk over and startle him, he darts away and swims around for bit, but then he settles right back in. He did a lot of just hanging around before, but I figured it was because he just didn't have much room to swim... So do you think he's just a mellow little guy or should I be concerned?

2) His tank has a colored LED light, which we've been leaving on at night. He seems to like it, but I just want to be sure it's okay... It is, right? We always turn it off in the morning, so he gets about 12 hours with and 12 without.

3) He hasn't seemed very interested in eating since we moved him. He didn't eat anything yesterday, that I noticed. And he might have eaten one of his pellets this morning, but I'm not sure it didn't just sink. I know he can go without food for a while, so it's not an emergency... And I'm thinking he's probably just getting used to his new environment still, but again, I just want to be sure.

1) What are the specs of his new tank? Size? Heated? Filtered?

2) I would recommend turning on the light during the daytime, then he will have total darkness to sleep in at night. At least that's what I do. If you have the light on in a totally dark room, it makes the inner walls partially reflective, so he is probably flaring at himself throughout the night.

3) Some betta take more than others to acclimate to their new home. When I brought MeiLin home, she started eating right away and immediately recognized me as mummy. Lelouch however has been home since Saturday, and still doesn't eat unless I leave the room after dropping a pellet in
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #1796 
Squidmagician
New Member
 
Squidmagician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
1) What are the specs of his new tank? Size? Heated? Filtered?

2) I would recommend turning on the light during the daytime, then he will have total darkness to sleep in at night. At least that's what I do. If you have the light on in a totally dark room, it makes the inner walls partially reflective, so he is probably flaring at himself throughout the night.

3) Some betta take more than others to acclimate to their new home. When I brought MeiLin home, she started eating right away and immediately recognized me as mummy. Lelouch however has been home since Saturday, and still doesn't eat unless I leave the room after dropping a pellet in
1) It's a 3-gallon tank with a heater and an airstone. The temperature's been staying right around 80 degrees.

2) Oh, I hadn't thought about the reflection! He does seem more lively when we turn the light on. I guess maybe that's why! I haven't really noticed him flaring much, though. But of course, I'm not watching him all the time.

3) He did this once before, shortly after we brought him home. He just refused to eat for a couple days and then, about the third day, he started chowing down again, like nothing was wrong. Maybe he's just being finicky...
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #1797 
nel3
Member
 
nel3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Price of the fish: Goes to breeder
Shipping FROM Thailand to your country: Transshipper
Shipping TO your house: Transshipper

Apparently.
thank you Bahamut. im actually going to drive over to the location the fish is being sent rather than directly to my house. 1.5 hr drive by google maps that doesnt take into Montreal's bad traffic and road repair issues.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #1798 
Lion Mom
Member
 
Lion Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: N.E. Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Price of the fish: Goes to breeder
Shipping FROM Thailand to your country: Transshipper
Shipping TO your house: Transshipper

Apparently.
I thought the shipping from Thailand to your country went to the seller.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #1799 
Tisia
Member
 
Tisia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington state
yeah, you usually pay like $5 to the seller for their shipping
you pay the transhipper import fees and shipping to your place
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #1800 
Squidmagician
New Member
 
Squidmagician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Georgia
Asking again because I'm beginning to worry... Al's spent the whole day just lounging around on the bottom of his tank. The only time he moves is when I walk over to check on him and when he sees me he darts away, swims around for a big, then settles down again somewhere else. When I tried to feed him, he just looked at the food and swam away. I couldn't even tempt him with a bloodworm. This is the third day he's refused to eat.

He's in a 3 gallon tank with a heater. The water is right at 80 degrees. The tank has an under-gravel filter and an airstone, but I turned the air pump off because it was causing bubbles to collect on the surface, and I thought he might be bothered by the bubbles. It doesn't seem to have made any difference, though. I did a 50% water change the day before yesterday, and I was thinking about doing another. Do you think it would help?
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick Question CodeRed Betta Fish Care 10 07-30-2009 02:23 PM
Quick question. IonBaller07 Betta Fish Care 21 06-21-2009 04:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.