Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #1 
rainbowmissy

Water change/cleaning questions

'Ello! :)

I just got a 2 gallon tank the other day, with a filter and a heater, and I have a few questions about cleaning it. Sorry if I sound kind of dumb. :P

1. Do I have to take my fish out of the tank before cleaning it? And what should I put her in while I'm cleaning it?

2. How do I go about cleaning the gravel? I don't have a gravel vacuum thing.

3. How much of a water change should I do, and how often?

Thanks for your help. :)
rainbowmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 
doggyhog

I'm assuming you're not going to cycle the tank. Although it's possible with that size tank, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. In that case, you really won't need the filter, but you can use it if you like.

1. Do I have to take my fish out of the tank before cleaning it? And what should I put her in while I'm cleaning it? What I do is scoop the fish into a smaller container or the cup they came in (if they are from the petstore)

2. How do I go about cleaning the gravel? I don't have a gravel vacuum thing. You will probably just want to do 100% water changes and just rinse the gravel out very well. Just no soap!

3. How much of a water change should I do, and how often? 100% twice a week is the generally rule for 2 gallons. Or at least what I do. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #3 
rainbowmissy

Thank you so much! :)
I'm just so nervous about everything because the past two Betta's I've had died during water changes. I don't think I let them acclimate or bob in the water enough though. :/

I'm definitely still going to use the filter. :P I get wayyy too paranoid without it. XD
Old 06-29-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

In a 2gal filtered tank...I would make twice weekly water changes of 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by stir and dip method since you don't have a vacuum..

Supplies needed: Label supplies "Fish only"
Bucket 1-2.5gal, plastic cup, thermometer, dechlorinator, net, wooden spoon or chop stick...you can keep all supplies in the bucket when not in use.

Stir and dip method
Wash hands before and after cleaning tank
Unplug both the filter and heater (do this with all water changes)
Use either a chop stick, wooden spoon or something to give the gravel a slight stir to get the mulm/debris up in the water column and dip half the water out with a plastic cup

Re-fill using like temp dechlorinated water...careful not to disturb the gravel with refill-

once you turn the filter back on.... the water should clear within an hour...if not.....you missed a water change some place or over feeding.....
Monitor the temp for a couple of hours

You can leave the Betta in the tank while cleaning...just be careful....

Filter media-needs a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month.....

Try to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water by using a thermometer and Always use dechlorinator with any water added to the tank...dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank not just the amount of replacement water as a general rule.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #5 
rainbowmissy

Thanks a bunch! So helpful! :)