Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 
tfranc

new guy that has trouble raising its hind body

Hi guys, its me again with another handsome boy, I found him at petco and he is a king halfmoon, beautiful!! but since I got him he lays on his side and his hind body seems to curl unsusually, he sits up like a dog where his body is bent and has a lot of difficulty going to the surface for air, he needs to go sideways to pick up food from the ground and cant really raise his lower body... does anyone know why? Its not swimbladder, I already have been treating him with the epsom salt for like 5 days and he is slightily better but has not changed how heavy its seems that his tail is for him, it also looks as if there is a lump inside the side of his lower body...

thanks for ur help
Attached Images

tfranc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #2 
Abby

urm is that his "Tank" or a temp thing?
need more pics of different angles cant really see much there
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

I hope that is a QT tank? You should consider removing the plant... it will be difficult for him to reach the surface with that in there...

The lump looks like his swim bladder but more pics would help.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #4 
tfranc

yes it is just a temporary thing, its the container he came in and as of right now I have no place to put him untill he starts getting better, he gets daily water changes, eats about 3 pellets a day. Its been 6 days w/ the epsom salt but it still seems like his lower body has a massive weight on it that makes it difficult for him to make it to the surface for air or food... the plant is only in there to help him rest against it so he doesnt lay sideways on the bottom... thanks for ur help
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

Does his spine look crooked like that in real life?? Double-tail bettas sometimes have spinal issues, maybe that's what's causing your boy's troubles =( He's so beautiful, what a lucky find!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The lump looks like the caudal peduncle and normal

How much Epsom salt are you using

Do you have any tannins you can add...from either IAL or oak leaf

Do you have something over the top of the QT container to help retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth...

Depending on the amount of Epsom salt it generally can take 4-5 days to see any improvement...sometimes longer...sometimes less...depending on the root cause....

Has he always been like this...you bought him like this or did it happen later and if so, explain...

The container you are using for QT is perfect.....

What is the water temp.....

Do you have any live food to offer.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #7 
tfranc

yes, his spine does look like that in real life, it looks a bit weird compared to all my other boys. I am using the dosage you gave me for my previous little baby who got so much better :) unfortunately I do not have any tannins to add, Im not sure how to get them either... its been so far 9 days and he still has issues. I did buy him like that, his condition is the main reason I brought him home with me, to see if I can make him better. He was having even more trouble getting to the surface at the store and thats why i keep him in lower level water so he can get air easily. He does have a little cover which keeps its nice and cozy for him to breathe. The water temp is about 72-75 deg. He eats some pieces of shrimp and the little pellets too, he has a good appetite, it just takes him a lot to get his food :(
Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #8 
tfranc

(sorry, first sentence is for Indyfishy, and the rest is for OFL)
Thank you for your help!! :)
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #9 
DarkMoon17

I'm thinking he's going to be a special needs betta. You won't be able to fix his bent spine with Epsom since it is congenital... You'll need to keep him in shallow water and choose your foods carefully. I'm guessing that he would be at a higher risk of impactions and etc. due to the bend... Make sure you use foods that aren't high in wheats and don't feed freeze-dried foods. You can keep him in 1tsp/gal epsom salt long term to see if it helps. Good luck with him :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #10 
tfranc

I wish, he could get better, he is so beautiful!! but I will take good care of him either way :)