Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #1 
RayneForhest

Rehoming???

After much MUCH thought, I decided to rehome Oakley. I rescued him from Walmart. He was so skinny, he had ick, and intestinal parasites.
After getting him all lined out... I tried to put him in with my females. He was VERY aggressive and began tearing his own fins to shreds.

One of my facebook friends lost a betta recently that happened to look a lot like Oakley. After talking to her... I decided she would make a LOVELY owner to Oakley.

He may be swimming with a new family, but I'm at peace, he's in GOOD hands :)

HAVE YOU EVER MADE THE DECISION TO REHOME?
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

I have with others pest... I mean pets I have taken in :) It's hard but at the end of the day, they have something they never did before because of you... a home :) Enjoy your new home Oakley!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #3 
RayneForhest

Pitluvs, do you do dog rescue?

I do. I get them, have them fixed, do basic training... then find them a forever home. Kentucky is in the top 3 if not the number one WORST when it comes to animal cruelty laws.

Thank you for your kind words. They really brought comfort to my heart
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Well, if you put him in with females, that is WHY he got so aggressive and started tailbiting. Its a big no-no to put males and females together. You could have kept him in his own tank :/ Oh well, at least he got a home.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #5 
RayneForhest

No, I had them separated... as conditioning.
Even when he was in his own tank, he was obsessed with the females. He could see them from afar.

Yeah, at least he's got a bigger tank now, and an owner with lots of love.
I just didnt feel like our connection was as good as it could be with his new owner.
I put his (potential) feelings first.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 PM   #6 
RayneForhest

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....ghlight=oakley
Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

RayneForhest, I don't do dog rescue but I will take any stray in and find its owner or a new home :) I have a dog aggressive Pitbull, so our time with a second dog has to be limited for both dogs safety. If I didn't have a dog aggressive female, I would foster :) We actually plan on fostering for our local Greyhound Rescue when the day comes that we don't have our Fatey :( Bitter sweet.

I do however rescue pet rats, I have none at the moment needing homes (I only take in males) but I have re-homed 11 since last summer. I have also adopted 12 myself and plan on adopting two more in August :) So I do rescue, just smaller pets lol

But I know what you mean, I wanted to keep every single animal that has come through our doors... but I knew they were meant to be with their new owners :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #8 
elijahfeathers

I've rehomed one of my fish. His name was Sherbert. A friend got bit bad by the betta bug-- and she bought 2 10 gallon tanks and stocked them with 1 male betta each and other tropical fish. After a big die-off that left only Sherbert in the one tank, she decided she only wanted the one. She gave me the 10 gallon with the condition that I would take Sherbet with me.

Now, it's not that he wasn't a sweet fish. He was just.... pink, and purple. And a vtxct mix with raggity looking fins. Healthy little bugger, but not my idea of pretty. My little cousin though, and my aunt, thought he was the prettiest fish that they'd seen. He now lives in a heated, filtered tank that's just shy of two gallons. He gets %100 water changes every week, with a rinse of his gravel, and he gets fed twice daily. I've been to visit him a few times and he's doing great-- honestly I didn't pay much attention to him while I had him, and he seems even perkier, I assume since people are cooing over him all the time.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote