Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #1 
Garett24

Scale torn, mild fin damage

Hey, I was noticing my bettas fins started to look a little raggedy but I thought it was nothing. Upon further inspection, the plant I have in my tank was too sharp and I got angry at myself for not noticing such an obvious hazard to my betta. Anyway, his fins are a little hurt and one of his scales is ripped. What should I do?

Also, on a separate note, is the best way to do a water change to use a siphon and take the water out with the betta still in it?

Thanks.
Garett24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #2 
Impolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garett24 View Post
Hey, I was noticing my bettas fins started to look a little raggedy but I thought it was nothing. Upon further inspection, the plant I have in my tank was too sharp and I got angry at myself for not noticing such an obvious hazard to my betta. Anyway, his fins are a little hurt and one of his scales is ripped. What should I do?

Also, on a separate note, is the best way to do a water change to use a siphon and take the water out with the betta still in it?

Thanks.
I dont know what to tell you about the damage to his fins. Maybe bump the temp and add some aquarium salt... or epsom salt... but dont take my word.

But as far as water changes, I do like 10% daily so the end of the week isn't as big, but for those I got this little bucket thing (actually got it out of a lunch box!) and just scoop it out and refill it with dechlorinated water I keep sitting out.
It keeps my tank pretty clean.
Some days I skip.... i dont think the fish mind though.
but for cleaning the gravel, like a good clean, yeah, i do vacuum and remove them.
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #3 
TonyK

I just had this happen to me. What I did was put him in a 2 gallon jug with a silk plant (for security but, not needed) Changed the water daily add 1 teaspoon of Aquarium Salt/ gallon. You don't have to use a 2 gallon jug just look for something that will hang inside the tank. You still want your Betta in heated water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garett24 View Post

Thanks.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote