Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #11 
TonyK

I looked at the ones in Petco and they had no pincers. I stayed away because it seems like they eat by filtering small particles out of the water. My tank has been going for about 2 months so its fairly new.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #12 
Nexangelus

Hm, how odd. I wonder if my LFS store has something incorrectly labeled as bamboo shrimp. I'll have to check on that tomorrow.

By the way, your avatar/display picture is quite creepy. Stuff from my nightmares, really. Is it enjoyable having a pet snake?
Nexangelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #13 
Wyvern

I would love to have shrimps in my tanks but they are blacklisted here so we cant get them at all!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #14 
Nexangelus

All shrimp? Even the ones falling under the "ornamental" category? Why is that?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #15 
TonyK

I've had snakes since I was 18. I am 39 now. Even though all they do is eat and poop, I enjoy them alot. Just until recently I had about 18 snakes. I am down to 5 now.

By the way, your avatar/display picture is quite creepy. Stuff from my nightmares, really. Is it enjoyable having a pet snake?[/quote]
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #16 
Wyvern

We have very strict laws about fish and so forth to prevent any diseases and even over population of various animals and plants. We have been trying for the last 100 years or so just to get rid of a plant that was brought over here by the Europeans. Its taken over so badly that there are lots of areas where the natural plants have died because of it.

Remember in south africa we almost have more nature reserves and wildlife parks than anything else. In Cape Town where I live we have a indigineous plant life that can only be found here. Fynbos is what its generally called, and its stunningly amazing. So we all work hard to protect all our plant life and animal life. Where I live im about 2 blocks away from a nature reserve.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #17 
Alex09

Bamboo shrimp need alot of water circulation do do well as they are particle feeders. Bettas on the other hand dont like strong currents. Just my 2 cents.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #18 
newfiedragon

How do shrimp clean algae on the sides of a tank? Just wondering, cause I've considered getting shrimp instead of snails.
newfiedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #19 
Nexangelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiedragon View Post
How do shrimp clean algae on the sides of a tank? Just wondering, cause I've considered getting shrimp instead of snails.
They're actually pretty good at keeping the sides clean. They generally won't do much to the pre-algae slime buildup, but will scurry along the glass and scrape algae off once there's enough built up on it. Not as effective as snails in that respect, but you get the added benefit of plant, substrate and general surface cleaning with these guys.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #20 
thePWNISHER

So snails will get the glass better but you run the risk of them damaging plants? Am I understanding the comparison correctly? Also is it easier to keep smaller shrimps with a betta alive if say you have a good amount of dwarf tears and java moss growing?
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote