Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #1 
rswfire

Question Betta Tank Recommendations?

Hello,

I have a male Betta named Gizmo. I've had him for about six months now. He started out in a 3 1/2 gallon tank but as my love for him grew, I felt a very strong need to upgrade his tank. He's now in a 10 gallon tank, by himself, with six moneywart plants, a few whisperia plants, and some nice decorations. I know he is very happy in there because he makes bubbles now, and he never did before. There's just one problem -- he really, really hates the water filter because it creates a current in his tank and I think it also discourages him from making bubbles. As a result, I took it out.

According to somewhere on this site, it is a myth that they do not need a water filter. So what kind of water filter would be adequate for his health needs but not disturb his peaceful home?

He also does not have a heater. His water temperature is pretty steady at about 74. I have been thinking about getting him one for the past few days, and after reading this site, I've decided it is a good idea to get him one and will do so tomorrow. What temperature would be ideal for him?

And one last concern is that he flares up a lot when his overhead light is on at night. He sees his reflection in the glass, I think, so he goes into territorial mode. I've pretty much dealt with this by planting all of the moneywarts around the sides of his tank, so not really an issue, but I always wondered if I should get him a tankmate. I don't want him to be lonely, but also on this website, it said something about taking my Betta's temperament into account -- and if he gets puffy over his own reflection, I'm guessing he is too territorial to accept any other fish in his tank?

If that's the case, I think that would be okay, as he really does seem to enjoy his home. I have another tank with some glofish in it that I had next to his tank and he used to watch them without flaring up, so maybe having a tank next to him would provide adequate "companionship?" I moved them upstairs, but what I'd really like to do (at least I'm thinking about it) is starting a female Betta tank. I haven't read the thread on sororities but I will after I post this. They no longer sell them at the Petsmart near me, so I don't know where I'll find them, but do you think it would be okay to have the two tanks next to each other?

And can anyone tell me about how long I can expect him to live for? I seriously love this little guy and want to give him the very best life possible. He's my second Betta. My first one died soon after I got him during a cleaning (his water was way too hot) and ever since then I've been really careful and done a lot of research on my Betta, but this site is the first to ever mention anything about water filtration and heaters as requirements.

Thanks for your time,

-Samuel

Last edited by rswfire; 07-03-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Typo
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 
rswfire

I added a picture of his aquarium to the forum...
Old 07-03-2011, 10:49 PM   #3 
gbose

Samuel,

You really want a filter in the tank unless you are ready to change the water every couple of days. What kind of filter is it? Can you regulate the flow? or cover the input tube with a very fine nylon-type cloth (sock material does well) to slow down the flow.

In the worst case, you could get a smaller filter.

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #4 
rswfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbose View Post
Samuel,

You really want a filter in the tank unless you are ready to change the water every couple of days. What kind of filter is it? Can you regulate the flow? or cover the input tube with a very fine nylon-type cloth (sock material does well) to slow down the flow.

In the worst case, you could get a smaller filter.

Good luck!

GB
Thanks. I've been doing full water changes of his tank on a weekly basis because I haven't the slightest idea how to clean a tank otherwise. I know it gets rid of the good bacteria and may cause him some stress (not sure) but I want his tank to be sanitary, of course.

The filter came with the tank. It was part of the Top Fin 10 Gallon Starter Kit, but this looks very much like the filter it came with:

Top FinŽ Power Filters and Filtration Cartridges - Filters - Fish - PetSmart

It is not adjustable. Do all air filters create a flow at the top of the tank? That's where he makes his bubbles at. I read earlier today about some kind of air stone? The only pet store near me is Petsmart. Is there a product from there you can recommend?
Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #5 
rswfire

Would this work as a good filter? It looks like a pretty good option to me...

FluvalŽ Underwater Filter - Internal Filters - Filters - PetSmart
Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #6 
laughing

I would just baffle the filter. There is a baffling sticky on here I believe. It is basically taping on a cut piece of water bottle. OR, use sponge to block the intake/out-take, etc. It's quite simple really.

Bettas love 80*. Mine tend to strive at about 80-85*, they begin to get uncomfortable once it gets about 90, or when it gets lower than 78. So the 80* is the best temperature!

Seeing their reflection can be really healthy for them. As long as he doesn't stress, flaring at his reflection is a perfectly normal and okay for him. I wouldn't add any tank mates, it can get messy quick. But yes, seeing other fish he can't get to is always nice!

Female sororities take lots of work to put together and maintain, I would wait awhile until you get more information.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #7 
rswfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I would just baffle the filter. There is a baffling sticky on here I believe. It is basically taping on a cut piece of water bottle. OR, use sponge to block the intake/out-take, etc. It's quite simple really.

Bettas love 80*. Mine tend to strive at about 80-85*, they begin to get uncomfortable once it gets about 90, or when it gets lower than 78. So the 80* is the best temperature!

Seeing their reflection can be really healthy for them. As long as he doesn't stress, flaring at his reflection is a perfectly normal and okay for him. I wouldn't add any tank mates, it can get messy quick. But yes, seeing other fish he can't get to is always nice!

Female sororities take lots of work to put together and maintain, I would wait awhile until you get more information.

Good luck!
I've spent $450 at Petsmart this week, lol... (A lot of it was for a 37 gallon tank for my mom to raise three silver dollar fish.) It will definitely be a while before I try to have a sorority. Apparently no one around here carries females -- not Petsmart, and my local Wal-Mart stopped selling all of their fish (that's good news!)

But thanks for the advice. I will get Gizmo a heater tomorrow, but he is not lethargic or anything like that. I guess he is just used to room temperature. It will be interesting to see if he changes at all in warmer waters. I have noticed that his body is fading colors -- not the fins; his body is sort of a grayish color and I could swear it was always blue! I'm definitely still learning but I'm trying to get up to speed as quickly as I can because my fishie is not a test subject.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #8 
rswfire

Quote:
This was rather hard to locate, but it's exactly what you're talking about...

Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

I will try that first. It would be nice to have a nice filter for him with carbon filtration without a surface current!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:40 AM   #9 
rswfire

Quote:
How can I tell if he is stressed or just acting naturally? He does all sorts of things when he sees himself. He'll puff out his cheeks, his fins go erect, and he starts swimming around the tank just like a shark. It's really adorable actually, lol... And other times, he'll put his nose right up against the glass, right in the corner, which is just bizarre... I can't really tell what he's doing when he does that; I'm not sure if he is staring himself down or what!

My favorite is when I find him hanging upside down in his little trees like a monkey!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #10 
Seka

It sounds like he's just acting normally. He sounds a lot like my betta with the flaring. I can't use the tank light with him because it causes him to flare up a storm, and he never stops. Mine does have tank mates (cories and tetras) and he loves them both (no flaring towards them).

I had the same problem with my filter making a current, and my betta hated it. I just rubber banded an aquarium sponge to the outtake and voila. It doesn't take much room, and it promotes more good bacteria growth. I recommend the sponge baffle over the bottle one.

When buying the heater, it's best if it's an adjustable one instead of a preset. They tend to work better.
Seka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, tank setup