Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #11 
MaggieLynn

The only issue i had was my little red one has a hole in her tail. but after a night in a QT tank with AQ salt and alil stress coat its healing already, and i knew it would happen but other than that their first day and night were not bad
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #12 
Sakura8

That's good to hear.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #13 
flowerslegacy

I'll add my two cents since I had a sorority too. Not to be a bummer - just want to share my experience to add some insight: I started a sorority of 4 girls in a 25 gal. Lots of hiding places, 2 logs, caves, plants, etc. I did a lot of research (so I thought) before I started. But my sorority didn't go so well. They did the usual nip and chase for a few days and then they calmed down. However, I had one extremely aggressive female who literally started hunting down the others and nipping horribly. The smallest girl just started to hide all the time and the other females were getting stressed too. I couldn't handle the aggression so I removed the aggressive one to see what would happen. Long story short, I couldn't find a combination of girls that could live together. Injury and stress resulted again and again until the least aggressive girl was barely coming to the top to breathe. Anyway, my experience wasn't a good one. I even tried keeping the smallest girl in the big tank with a community until she killed two of community fish. Your situation may not turn out like this!! This was my first betta experience so I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes. I've read plenty of good reports, just be aware that sororities can be touchy. I finally learned on this forum that the best sorority situations are females that are born and raised together. You'll have the best long term outcome in this situation. However, some people have success just buying random females from their local pet store. However, I also read on this forum that you can have a great sorority for 6 months, then randomly one or more of the females will just let loose and start attacking the others. Perhaps they just feel they've "had enough" of the company and become agressive. So be prepared to house your females separately if it doesn't work out! I was so frustrated with the aggression that I originally brought all of my females back to the pet store. It was a HUGE mistake!! I've regretted it ever since! I even went back to retrieve them but they were gone. :( It's been the worst case of regret I've ever experienced. But now I'm prepared to house separate bettas and I've already purchased my first girl again. I can't go into a pet store without wanting to buy more! So just be aware and fully informed and then enjoy the girls! They're awesome!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #14 
nighthealr

Thankyou everyone for sharing your experiences! I thought that I'd read somewhere that sisters were usually a better option! Thanks for confirming. Think I'll keep an eye on aquabid and let my plants grow a bit lmore.
nighthealr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #15 
MaggieLynn

This has inspired me to do a blog about my experience with the sorority. i have had them for 24 hours now and i observe them when i can. But i think a betta blog would be a good way to document my experience and fill my spare time seeing as tomorrow i am done with my summer class and i have yet to find a job >.>
Old 07-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #16 
nighthealr

Hey MaggieLynn! How are your girls getting along? I hope you keep us updated....
nighthealr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #17 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthealr View Post
Hey MaggieLynn! How are your girls getting along? I hope you keep us updated....
They are all doing very well. i had a heart attack the other day when one some how got under the heater. its flat and is under the rocks, well the edge with the cord was off the bottom and she was hiding under it silly girl, nice and warm but scared the living daylights out of me. so i washed my whole arm off with anti-bacterial soap and dried it and romoved the cave that was on top pushed the heater down and put rocks over and replaced the cave all while like 3 of them watched. i now can put my hand in there to move stuff with them in and they just sit and watch, i touched on once just out of curiosity and she didnt even make a move to swim away. its pretty cool i love to sit and watch them. I could probably go on and on about them and their different personalities. Im glad that i got them. here are some pics of them :)
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #18 
Sakura8

They're all very pretty and obviously getting quite used to you.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #19 
MaggieLynn

This pic didnt make it in the first post. And for the post above the names from left to right top to bottom are Gail, Gloria, Luna, Viola and in this post Heidi
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #20 
Sakura8

I love their names.