Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #11 
rswfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seka View Post
It sounds like he's just acting normally. He sounds a lot like my betta with the flaring. I can't use the tank light with him because it causes him to flare up a storm, and he never stops. Mine does have tank mates (cories and tetras) and he loves them both (no flaring towards them).

I had the same problem with my filter making a current, and my betta hated it. I just rubber banded an aquarium sponge to the outtake and voila. It doesn't take much room, and it promotes more good bacteria growth. I recommend the sponge baffle over the bottle one.

When buying the heater, it's best if it's an adjustable one instead of a preset. They tend to work better.
Thanks, Seka. I'm getting an adjustable one today, and I'll try the sponge. That sounds like a good idea. They probably make them in black too. How do you know he loves them? I'm worried if I put more fish in there he will feel like I care about him less. Silly, right? LOL

I was thinking about checking out some cories today and maybe introducing them to my betta's tank, and if he doesn't accept them, then I can move them to another 10g tank I have with five glofish. Will he still make bubbles if other fish are in the tank with him? I was really happy when he started doing that because I felt like I'd finally accomplished my task of being a good fish owner!

This is my list for today. That pet store is killing me, lol...

Top Fin Floating Glass Aquarium Thermometer x2
Top Fin Submersible Aquarium Heater 50w
Top Fin Small Filter Cartridge x2
Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge x3
Black Gravel
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #12 
Seka

I know he loves them because he shares his food with all of them (neon tetras and cories). He eats their food right alongside them, and no one complains. There have never been any fighting, fin nipping, flaring or aggression. He also sometimes copies them. Before I added them he was always swimming at the top of the tank; now he spends most of his time swimming at the bottom alongside them because he seems amused by their explorations. They are all out in the open except during nap time so I can tell they're not stressed out. I don't think he'll think you care less about him if he has tank mates, especially if he reacts the same way mine has.

Cories should work out great for him if he's mellow, and it sounds like he might be. Bettas are top/mid swimmers, while cories are bottom dwellers so it might not affect him at all. The good thing is that cories clean the algae. If you get smaller cories (pygmy, julii, etc) you can get more of them for the 10g (4-5, vs 3-4 of the bigger cories), and that will make them feel safer since they are schooling fish. Three is the minimum, though. They're very active when they're happy and go up and down every surface of the tank. It's up to him whether he'll make bubbles or not. There's really no way to predict that so you'll have to wait and see. The good thing is that you have a lot of plants in your tank so that will help keep the ammonia down even with the additional fish, and it adds more depth to the tank for everyone to explore.

If you're really concerned about him and cories getting along what you can do is take him out and change things around a bit in the tank. Float and add the cories first and let them explore so they know their way around. Then add him back in last. This will greatly decrease his chance of acting territorial.

I got the Fluval Edge Pre-Filter Sponge x3 to baffle my filter and one sponge did the job. The sponge also takes less room than the bottle, and your betta can't swim into the sponge like he could with the bottle and get stuck in the filter current there. Looks like you got a good list. Don't forget to get the cories their food when you get them. They should be fine with just regular algae wafers.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Here are a couple of pictures of my betta playing with two of the cories.
Attached Images

Last edited by Seka; 07-04-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Seka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #13 
ollief9

For a 10 gallon tank, you could up to 6 more fish with your Betta. I would recommend Platies; they're hardy, colourful, and go well with Bettas.

Another option is a couple of African Dwarf Frogs (these a basically frog-fish; they stay in water all the time and are very cute).
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #14 
rswfire

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone. I really appreciate it. I haven't gotten any new fishies yet. I want to do more research and give it some thought first. I'm not particularly fond of catfish because of the whiskers; they remind me of insects for some reason, lol... Anyway, I had a heck of a time trying to get the sponge trick to work. I didn't have any rubber bands and the way the water filter is set up, I'm not sure it would have helped. So, at least as a temporary fix, I've used black electrical tape and I wrapped the sponge in an oval shape. You can still see water coming through the bottom, but it doesn't seem as strong. Here's a picture. What does everything think? Will this work for now or is this still too much water flow?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #15 
rswfire

He's in his new home.

The sponge baffle is working great -- it creates a very, very mild current at the top. That hasn't stopped Gizmo from cursing at it though. He keeps going over to it and puffing, just like when I had first put it in the tank, but now he only does it in the one spot where the current creates a little stream. It's funny.

And now he has a heater. I'm going to aim for 82 unless you guys recommend a different temperature. Maybe it will help bring back some of his color. He seems kind of dull looking lately. My one concern is that he won't stop checking it out and he is swimming in between it and the glass! He mustn't do that!

I was able to take a few pictures, but they come out better at night when the sunlight in the house doesn't make reflections everywhere. He wasn't being very cooperative with the camera today and starting puffing at me too, lol...

Gizmo's New Home -- He's Sneaking into the Cave on the Left

Checking Out the Water Filter -- He Doesn't Like It!

Too Close to the Heater -- And Apparently None Too Pleased with Me! LOL

Still Near the Heater -- Good Pic of Him Though

(Does he look like a healthy fish?) I watched him hop over the top suction cup! Crazy!!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #16 
rswfire

Quote:
Hope this helps, and good luck. Here are a couple of pictures of my betta playing with two of the cories.
They're adorable.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #17 
Seka

Your tank looks great! And your plants are awesome!

The thing about him swimming around the heater suction cups: mine does it, too. It seems more like a game to him. Maybe yours is being playful as well. I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Let him settle in a bit and he should stop being so obsessed with the filter, and maybe even the heater. The baffle looks great like that. 82 is a good temperature. I think most people on this forum recommend between 78 and 82 degrees.

Cories are just the beginning of all the possibilities for betta tank mates. Check out the Betta Fish Compatibility forum section for ideas and stocking options. Cories, some species of tetras, mystery snails, some small shrimp species, otos, and african dwarf frogs are just a few I could come up with off the top of my head to give you a few ideas, but there's others.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #18 
rswfire

Quote:
Cories are just the beginning of all the possibilities for betta tank mates. Check out the Betta Fish Compatibility forum section for ideas and stocking options. Cories, some species of tetras, mystery snails, some small shrimp species, otos, and african dwarf frogs are just a few I could come up with off the top of my head to give you a few ideas, but there's others.
You really think I can have more fish in such a small tank? I mean, there are a lot of plants and decorations too... It didn't seem so small to me until I added the water filter and heater, lol. And I'm not sure what your betta is like, but mine is all over the place. He never stays in just one place for very long. Are glofish compatible tank mates? I'm about to move them downstairs, but they'll just be in a tank next to him.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #19 
rswfire

Quote:
Your tank looks great! And your plants are awesome!
Thanks. The big ones are moneywarts. The small one is a wisteria. I read the profile on here about wisteria and apparently they can grow to be quite big, but I haven't had mine long enough I guess to see that. They are my favorite underwater plant so far. I get the moneywarts because Gizmo loves to lay on those, or hide in them, or hang upside down in them, hehe.

Last edited by rswfire; 07-04-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #20 
Seka

I have moneyworts and wisteria as well, plus anubia, amazon swords, and java fern. Mine is the same way with the moneyworts; he keeps circling around them over and over and over and over... I get dizzy watching him.

Yeah, mine's really active. He darts around really fast sometimes, but he also has moments when he's just daydreaming. My whole tank is very active. Everyone is constantly darting around everything. For example, cories are supposed to be bottom dwellers, but I've spotted one chilling on the leaf hammock at the top of my tank. He must be really relaxed to do that even with the betta darting around.

With all the plants you have in the tank you should be fine adding tank mates because all those plants actually help. They provide hiding places as well as things for them to explore to keep them active, less stressed and happy. Plus, they keep your ammonia levels down. It does look like a lot, and there is a maximum, though. In a 10g you can pretty much have 3-5 fish of the same kind that school together: 3-5 neon tetras OR cories OR otos for example. Or you can add a couple of mystery snails OR 7-8 ghost, amano or cherry shrimp OR a couple of african dwarf frogs for example. These are just a few examples to give you an idea of how many you can put in the tank without overstocking it.

Here's a link that might help: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....hlight=glofish Read the whole thread, not just the first "guide" post.

For compatibility options you can also check out www.aqadvisor.com. Don't rely on it to see how many you can put in, though. The numbers are too high (overstocked), but the species information is pretty good.

Tags
betta, tank setup