Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #1 
Kourt1313

What's wrong?!?!

I've had a double tail male Betta on my desk at work for about a month now. When I first got him he was a really pretty silver/blue/white. I came in today from two days off (last I saw him on Saturday, he was fine) and he is now a gross orang color. He swims around but then acts like he wants to bury himself in the marbles at the bottom of his bowl. What's wrong?! He has been perfect up until just now. The one thing I noticed when I came in was the water was very warm for some reason so I immediately went and changed it. As I've been typing this I notice he's just staying at the bottom now on his side, but when I go move the bowl he swims around, comes up for air... Please help I've uploaded photos... Another note, while uploading photos, he has been swimming around and active like normal...
Attached Images

Kourt1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Aww I'm so sorry that you're little work buddy isn't feeling so well!!! The orange color has me stumped. I suppose he could be a marble betta, but I've never heard of one changing its colors so fast!! Shine a flashlight on him when you get the chance to make sure he doesn't have velvet, velvet looks like gold glitter under light. Other than that, i can't think of anything else that would explain the color! The temp change in his water may have caused him to act funny. He does appear to have a little fin rot on his tail fin, and you can treat that with adding 1 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt to his tank. You should increase the water changes to everyday until the rot clears up, you can put him in a smaller quarantine container for a few days if that makes the water changes easier for you! Good luck with your boy, he's very cute!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 
Kourt1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyfishy View Post
Aww I'm so sorry that you're little work buddy isn't feeling so well!!! The orange color has me stumped. I suppose he could be a marble betta, but I've never heard of one changing its colors so fast!! Shine a flashlight on him when you get the chance to make sure he doesn't have velvet, velvet looks like gold glitter under light. Other than that, i can't think of anything else that would explain the color! The temp change in his water may have caused him to act funny. He does appear to have a little fin rot on his tail fin, and you can treat that with adding 1 tsp per gallon of aquarium salt to his tank. You should increase the water changes to everyday until the rot clears up, you can put him in a smaller quarantine container for a few days if that makes the water changes easier for you! Good luck with your boy, he's very cute!!
Thank you. He's definitely not himself. Normally he's swimming around and spassing out and getting mad at pens on the desk but now for the last few hours he's been resting at the top on his plant. I just did the flashlight test, it does look like there are a couple spots that look glittery, so what do I do about that and what is it?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

Does the glittery patches look like this?? (if you can't see the pic, type in "betta velvet" to google search)

If the patches look like that, then your fish has Velvet. It's caused by unstable temperatures, and that would make sense since your little guy had a few temp changes over the last couple days. Its a parasite, have you seen your fish trying to rub them off on any of his decor???
To treat him, you should first quarantine him in a small container so that you can change his water everyday while he gets better (the cup you bought him in, or a gladware container will work fine). If you have aquarium salt on hand, you can use 1 tsp per gallon in his QT container to help get rid of the velvet. If the salt treatment isn't working, or you see that there are alot of the little parasites all over him, you can go to using medications. Some medications that work on velvet are Coppersafe by Mardel, Velvet Gaurd by Jungle, or Malachite Green. I've personally never had a fish that has had velvet, so hopefully another forum member can give their opinion as well!!
Can you take a few pictures of your guy with flash so we may be able to help you confirm if it is velvet or not???
Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

There are a few important bits of information you haven't included in your post.

Firstly, what is the size of the bowl and temperature of the water? Secondly, how frequently and of what size, are water changes performed?

I wouldn't jump straight into medicating, if your tank husbandry isn't up to scratch. Your fish might just be compromised by poor water quality rather than a more serious condition. There's a quick questionnaire to fill out at the top of this section of the forum and it would help a lot in diagnosis.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #6 
Kourt1313

Sorry I'm at work so I've been trying to post messages discreetly and quickly... He is in this bowl: http://www.petco.com/product/113970/...t=OnSiteSearch I perform 100% water changes once a week using Splendid Betta conditioner as I do with my Betta's at home who are doing fine, no issues with them. He moves every time I try and take a photo with him with the flash on so these are the best I can do... The first one it's the sparkles near the tail, I can't tell if that's just his scales or Velvet and the second one I can't really see anything. He's been more active this afternoon, getting pissed as usual at my water bottle, however not flaring his fins out much, just a little, and I'm wondering about the trying to scratch himself cuz he has been trying to get between the marbles at the bottom of the bowl.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #7 
Kourt1313

I just realized that bowl description didn't say the size. I believe it's a 1.5 gallon.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #8 
Indyfishy

In a 1.5 gallon bowl he should probably have his water changed two or three times a week, it'll help keep him from getting sick. As far as the velvet goes, it looks like he may have a very mild case. I would go with the aquarium salt treatment for a few days. It won't hurt him if he doesn't have it, and it'll help him get better if he does. I wouldn't use any medications yet unless you see it getting worse. His color change has me stumped, he may just be a marble boy!!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #9 
Kourt1313

Thanks :) I will head out now and buy the salt. I hope he's gonna be okay! He entertains me all day at work. He finally livened up this afternoon and was getting angry at everything! I'm like, it's a piece of paper, why you flarin' up?! lol
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I'm wondering if that's just him colouring up, so to speak. He looks like a lovely pineapple from those first photos.
There is a black edge on the upper part of his tail, is that it's normal colour? If not it could be a bit of fin rot.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote