Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #1 
Kestral

URGENT -Please Help!

Okay, so I just brought home a Betta from Walmart. He's extremely sick, and I think he has clamped fin and fungus. He can hardly breath, he has some white growth near his gills, and his fins are clamped together. He's a crowntail, and he hardly looks like it.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallonWhat temperature is your tank? 75 - 76 degreesDo you have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I plan on feeding him Omega One flakes… but I just got him so…
How often do you feed your betta fish? I plan to feed him twice a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%, but I think I might change it %50 every other day.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, and aquarium salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

N/A to all of them

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are clamped, and he has some white growth…
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He stays near the top, his fins are going back and forth rapidly, and his gills are gasping for air.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sadly, at the pet store.
L
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I put him in a ½ gallon tank with no gravel and some aquarium salt… I plan on putting a plant in there?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I have no idea.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea.
Kestral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

He looks in pretty bad shape.....good that you have him in a small QT container to start......I would pre-mix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried oak leaf to steep...let this steep for about an hour before you use it so it will release some of the tannins (shake well before use)..use this pre-mix treatment water for the 100% daily water changes.....

You want to maintain a water temp in the 76F range and cover the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ

On the first day....make a 50% water changes using the pre-mixed Tx water....count this as day zero...tomorrow make the 100% with the Tx water and count that as day 1......the reason for this is due to the shape he appears to be in by looking at the pic and you don't want to do too much too soon since he appears to be stressed....it could send him over the edge....

Nutrition is really important for a fish in this shape...if you have any live food to offer like mosquito larva....this would help him out a lot....if not, frozen would be next best-then pellets....feed small frequent meals to his tolerance...you may have to start off slow then increase per his tolerance and activity...if he perks up in a couple of days...increase the frequency of feeding not the amount per feeding...

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #3 
Kestral

Wait, so how do I make the treatment water? Like, do I put in some aquarium salt, and a dried oak leaf, let it sit for an hour, take out the oak leaf? And then, when I change Warrior's water (that's his name) I don't put in tap-water, I put in that?
Just want to make sure I have it right, which I proboally dont...
Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Get a clean 1gal jug(I use-1gal milk jug, OJ or water jug that has been rinsed well)...
fill with tap water and add the proper amount of dechlorinator for 1gal...
Add aquarium salt 1 tsp...
Add IAL or oak leaf to this 1gal jug of dechlorinated salt water....let it sit for 1hour...leave the oak leaf in the jug..the longer it steeps the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it
shake well before use....
use this pre-mixed treatment water for the 100% daily water changes for 10 days....
the Betta stays in the half gallon QT container you have him in right now....
the 1gal jug of pre-mixed treatment water is separate and the water you will use for the water changes....
he needs to stay in this treatment water all the time for the 10 days but you have to make water changes too.....by using the treatment water......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-05-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #5 
Kestral

Got it. Thanks!
One last question... can I just get a dried oak leaf from outside, or do I have to microwave it and stuff?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #6 
Kestral

Actually, can I use a bag of Decaf, regular green tea?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #7 
Kestral

It's like, if I tap the sides, he swims away (it looks very strange) then lets himself float to the top and stay in a corner. It looks like he's dead (his fins & gills dont move) and I have to tap on the sides to make sure he's alive!
Tomorrow morning I'll do a 100% water change, with the medicine water. :D
Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Dried oak leaf from outside is great...you want naturally dried and fallen from the tree oak leaf...about 10-12 crushed per gallon of water....don't worry if some of the oak leaf bits get in the QT water with the fish......
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #9 
TheBlueBettaFish

Do what OFL says...he he shes awesome. My question: WHERE IS HIS EYE BALLS?!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #10 
Kestral

I haven't the slightest idea!
I'm sick too... :(