Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2011, 03:22 AM   #61 
Sakura8

It certainly doesn't hurt to give him daphnia on a, er, regular basis. No pun intended.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #62 
omgitslph

He's such a special fish. I haven't seen a poop out of him since my last post (I keep him in a bare bottom so I'd know if he did). I keep him in about 1 tsp of epsom salt to 1 gal of water still. I'm going to go to petco after work and pick up some of those Jungle ones for bacteria if they have them. I might move him to a 5+ gal I can heat it for him and hope that helps. He's still bloated (which has always been "normal" for him), but acting normal. Going out of town for 5 days (Thurs-Mon) and won't have anyone to change water for him until Saturday if I beg my dad to change the water. Any ideas of what I should do with him? Is it okay to just do a water change Thursday morning with Epsom salt or would it be better for him to be in regular water?
omgitslph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #63 
Sakura8

If he's always bloated, the epsom salt shouldn't hurt him all that time. Just be sure he's fasted during the time you're away or until his water can be changed. And definitely, if you're going to be away then a 5g is a way better idea to keep him.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #64 
omgitslph

He's already fasted as is. :( He gets 1-2 pellets a day (1 in the morning and 1 at night) with some daphnia. He won't get daphnia and idk if my mom will soften pellets for him until my dad gets home from his business trip. -___-
Old 07-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #65 
Sakura8

But if no one changes his water, ammonia will build up pretty fast. Feed him the way you have been now, with the pellet and the daphnia, and when you're gone, fast him entirely. No daphnia, nothing. Just the epsom salt. If he gets ammonia poisoning on top of everything, he'll get pretty sick.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #66 
omgitslph

Cleaned out the 5 gal. It was out of commission for years (about 2-3 years), but had some crazy ick or something bloom in it and killed 2 of my bettas. Cleaned it out with hot water and vinegar. That should be fine, right? I feel so awkward/scared using it again when I'm going away. I don't want him to get whatever killed all my other fish. :(
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #67 
Sakura8

Hot water and vinegar should work fine. If you want, you can always rinse it again in the morning and let it sun dry.