Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #1 
fozziethebetta
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin
80 degrees??

Is 80 degrees to hot for my betta 2.5gallon aquarium? I purchased a heater because the water was only 74/75...now it is staying at 80 and I cannot adjust my heater temp. It is one that is set at 78.
fozziethebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #2 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
That's fine. Perfect actually. Bettas are tropical fish and require tropical temps to stay healthy. My fish are kept at 80 when indoors but since they're outside now they expierence temps of 90F+ down to 40F at night.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #3 
BettaFins
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
My fish are kept at 80 when indoors but since they're outside now they expierence temps of 90F+ down to 40F at night.
Interesting point. Advice (perhaps even good advice) is always given to keep a betta's temp quite stable, but that's not what they would experience in their natural environment.
BettaFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 
SchBetta5123
New Member
 
SchBetta5123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando Florida
That is a very good temp for them.
I keep all of my tanks at 80*F and all my Betta's are thriving in it.
SchBetta5123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #5 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFins View Post
Interesting point. Advice (perhaps even good advice) is always given to keep a betta's temp quite stable, but that's not what they would experience in their natural environment.
Ya even in Thailand bettas are kept outdoors where temps are constantly changing. As long as the temperature change is done slowly they'll be fine. It's not like one minuet it's 95F and then BAM down to 45F. My fish would die if that were the case. But since it's a smooth transition my fish do great.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
How is your Betta acting to the water temp...any change in behavior.....

So true....the slow, gradual temp changes are generally tolerated by a healthy Betta and not only do you have those gradual day and night changes but you also can have different temp in the tank itself in different areas/level-especially unfiltered tanks...top-bottom-far corner away from the heater, under things especially live plants...a healthy Betta can tolerate this generally without problems....but that sick, stressed, compromised Betta might have a problem and sudden big temp swings over 20-30 degree can stress even a healthy Betta and could send a sick one over the edge.......

This year in my outside spawns- my water temp has gone way over 100F and are tolerating it fine and reproducing like rabbits.....lol.....but-it also cools down some as the sun goes down....I don't really like to compare too much with native habitat with some things..... but only because we are talking about different volumes of water....no matter how big our tank- it just doesn't compare and the Bettas we keep are domesticated or man made in regards to finnage.......

Personally, I like to keep my water temp in the low range of normal...in the 75-76F range...and 80F is fine-but you also have to watch the Betta...each Betta can be different in their tolerance to water temp for varied reasons......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #7 
MrVampire181
Member
 
MrVampire181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How is your Betta acting to the water temp...any change in behavior.....

So true....the slow, gradual temp changes are generally tolerated by a healthy Betta and not only do you have those gradual day and night changes but you also can have different temp in the tank itself in different areas/level-especially unfiltered tanks...top-bottom-far corner away from the heater, under things especially live plants...a healthy Betta can tolerate this generally without problems....but that sick, stressed, compromised Betta might have a problem and sudden big temp swings over 20-30 degree can stress even a healthy Betta and could send a sick one over the edge.......

This year in my outside spawns- my water temp has gone way over 100F and are tolerating it fine and reproducing like rabbits.....lol.....but-it also cools down some as the sun goes down....I don't really like to compare too much with native habitat with some things..... but only because we are talking about different volumes of water....no matter how big our tank- it just doesn't compare and the Bettas we keep are domesticated or man made in regards to finnage.......

Personally, I like to keep my water temp in the low range of normal...in the 75-76F range...and 80F is fine-but you also have to watch the Betta...each Betta can be different in their tolerance to water temp for varied reasons......
I'm taking advantage of that haha. I've had one male spawn with his sisters but with no success so I threw him in a 10 gallon and I'll spawn him every few weeks with his breedable sisters haha.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A question of degrees HarleyRigid Betta Fish Care 8 01-29-2011 10:33 AM
76 degrees ferenheit too cold? Mjoyn91 Betta Fish Care 5 10-18-2010 04:13 PM
Is 85 degrees F too hot for bettas? sharkweek Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 08-27-2010 12:13 PM
HELP ASAP! heater has fluxuated over 20 degrees!!! nav2008 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 7 09-26-2008 10:04 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.