Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #11 
elijahfeathers

Well thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for it. lol C: And hopefully I'll have pics soon!
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #12 
RobertTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
Thanks. I am thinking about switching to live plants once I research plants and LED lighting because I don't know too much about LEDs. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure LEDs will do nothing for plants. You said dorm room? You probably have enough ambient florescent lighting to grow something low-light like an anubia.
RobertTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #13 
betabettafish

does anyone know if the PETCO mini bow one gallon tank is a good home for a small, male, crowntail betta? hes currently in a MARINA 1/2 gallon tank and im planning to upgrade. Any information would be a great help. Id like the information in the form of a message to my profile. THANKS!!
betabettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #14 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
Thanks. I am thinking about switching to live plants once I research plants and LED lighting because I don't know too much about LEDs. We'll see.

The 2.5 has the same lights as the 2 gallon petco hex tank, which I've never(always) had a problem growing brown and green algae.

I've run into a little problem with the lights, don't run them without the pump running or they can start having a failure in which two or three begin blinking.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #15 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by betabettafish View Post
does anyone know if the PETCO mini bow one gallon tank is a good home for a small, male, crowntail betta? hes currently in a MARINA 1/2 gallon tank and im planning to upgrade. Any information would be a great help. Id like the information in the form of a message to my profile. THANKS!!

You can get a 5 gallon AllGlass made tank at walmart for the price of the 1 gallon bow-front. The walmart kit comes with a reliable and easily modified filter and uses regular fluorescent screw-in lights.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #16 
elijahfeathers

Alright, I've gotten this tank too. It's super cute and I love the way it looks-- I previously had a 2.5 but it was a dinged up critter-keeper type, and this looks much nicer.

Fist thing-- I didn't pile the gravel up to the filter and it too my fish all of about 2 mins to get curious and wedge himself behind the filer. The filter is strong, however my male is a PK and does not seem too troubled by it unless he is swimming at surface level directly in front of it. I may baffle it anyway, but he's not being thrown around in there or anything. I 100% would not put a long-finned male in this tank without baffling it though.

It is as you said very roomy-- the design is quite appealing imo. I'm really glad this review was up, cause I got this tank and I'm loving it already. I'll get pics once the air bubbles vanish some. :P
Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 AM   #17 
Thunderloon

Since the 2g hex and 2.5g bow front Petco tanks use the same filter, that uses an enclosed cartridge (zero bypass flow) you can actually submerge the filter deep into the tank all the way till only the end plug is sticking up out of the back.

This will take care of the output flow issues.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #18 
SaylorKennedy

elijah, I'm glad you found this helpful and am excited that you like it as much as I do! And Thunderloon, there is a difference between the 2.5 and Hex in that the cutout where the filter is supposed to go has these ridges that nearly make it impossible to use the suction cups on the back of the tank. I'm sure if you're determined enough you can jam it down into the very bottom of the tank and it might work, but otherwise you have to use the hook. It's a flaw that I'm absolutely befuddled by.

Last edited by SaylorKennedy; 07-07-2011 at 03:33 AM.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 AM   #19 
elijahfeathers

Well I've tried that and it worked-- putting it under the water after reading this. I set the filter so it was on the last notches in the hook, hung it down, and just filled the water up a bit higher. Works great. lol