Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #1 
SchBetta5123

Angry Amazon Sword help

Hey everyone.

I got some new plants for my 55 gallon tank a week or two ago, but I am experiencing some trouble with them. They were orders off of aquariumplants.com, they came in huge and bright green, as expected they started to die off a bit. Some roots turning brown, leaves becoming transparent, tips discoloring, and some limp leaves.

-I have 2.5 wpg, 142 watts total.

-Dose with Flourish Excel daily (except Sunday).

-Flourish Tabs Monthly
(Only 2 since I got them in June. Am doing early month doses now)

-Ammonia-0

-Nitrite-0

-NitrAte-20ppm

I do 3 water changes a week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. All no more that 10% each time. Usually around 6%-7%. Is this to much? I do not have an ammonia problem, but sand does like to show the crap more than gravel.

In the past when I got new ones, they just had some tips turn brown, not this. Is there anything I can do?

What am I doing wrong
SchBetta5123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like plants that are grown emersed that need time to get their submersed growth.....a lot of nursery grow their plants above the water with just the roots under water so they grow faster with limited algae and snail problems...sword have two types of leaves....ones that grow out of the water that are stiffer, thicker and stand up more and one that grow under water-limp, thinner that need water for support...give them time-its not uncommon for them to have a total die back(melt) before the new submersed growth.....also be sure and don't plant them too deep...the crown should be above the substrate-its better to plant swords too shallow than too deep....when I plant mine....I cram the roots in the substrate and then give them a little tug to bring the crown above the substrate and this helps the roots grow in the right direction too......

Also what is the kelvin rate on your light bulbs, age of bulbs and photoperiod...swords like 6500k and 12h/day

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-07-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #3 
SchBetta5123

6500 K per bulb, so 1300 in all if my math is correct.
Replaced the bulbs a week before I got the new plants, so they are not old.
I leave the light on for 14 hours a day.

Sounds like I match all of the requirements, so they do probably need to settle in.

Off subject: Are my water changes OK?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would do 1-50% weekly with light vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots....not too clean...need some of that decomp to create natural CO2 for the plants and not too much splashing from the filter or use of an airstone to keep from gassing out that CO2....
Its also best to make a water change before you add the plant food to remove any plant food that the plants didn't use or need so the algae can't have it.....

True that adding the kelvin of the two bulbs will equal 13,000, however in kelvin that is the color spectrum and what the plant can see to use for photosynthesis...so 6500k is different than 13,000

You may want to decrease your photoperiod...longer isn't always better.....plants can only use so much and then you start feeding algae..its a balance with planted tank

Its a good idea to change out your light bulbs every 6mo-1yr even when they still shine...you can see the light but the plants can't use the light for energy and photosynthesis...but the algae can......

Love to see some pic of your planted tanks.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-08-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #5 
SchBetta5123

Thanks, will do that from now on.

Plants still have a ton of growing to do before the tank looks nice.
Here is a pic of the 55. Don't know how to upload a pic to here, so I am giving a link.

Once I can finds one, I am going to remove that cheesy log and get a real piece of drift wood and grow my Java on that. Looking for a good piece right now.

http://www.bettafish.com/member.php?u=27383
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Looks good.....you can create an album in your CP and load pic from your computer in that section otherwise you have to have a host for pic..like photobucket....