Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2011, 02:50 AM   #1 
rswfire
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
My Betta May Be Sick... Need Advice!

I could be imagining it but I swear it looks like my betta has doubled in size overnight! And he looks really thick, like a giant goldfish or something!! Will you look at these pictures and tell me what you think, and what I should do?! He's an adult, maybe about eight or nine months old now... (Sorry for the picture quality; he's notorious for making it difficult to take his picture!)









rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #2 
rswfire
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Housing

What size is your tank?

10g.

What temperature is your tank?

It is generally in the 78-80 range. I try to keep it at 78.

Does your tank have a filter?

Yes, but it is heavily baffled.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?

No.

Is your tank heated?

Yes.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

None. I think he's lonely...


Food

What type of food do you feed your betta fish?

Mostly betta pellets, and generally too many for most of his life. I recently started cutting him back. I also feed him freeze dried blood worms upon occasion, no more than once or twice a week at most, and in small quantity.

How often do you feed your betta fish?

Once or twice a day.

Maintenance


How often do you perform a water change?

Every week. Sometimes several times a week.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?

I have always done 100% water changes. As strange as it sounds, I find that easier than doing partial water changes. I don't feel like I can really get his tank clean otherwise.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Dechlorinator, in drops, according to instructions. After that, I add the aquarium salt. After that, I add some liquid plant food.


Water Parameters:

Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I have not tested it myself, but I have had Petsmart test it, and all of the results came back good, for what that's worth. This was a few weeks ago; he's had water changes since then, so they could be different now.


Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?

Yes, he has seemed more pale for several weeks now.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?

It is hard to say; he does seem a little more lethargic than normal. But he still happily eats and he swims around a lot at various times throughout the day.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?

I noticed the paleness several weeks ago, but I couldn't be sure if maybe he was always that color. He was in a different tank before that didn't have an overhead light, so the brighter light above him showed more grayish than blue.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?

Hmm, well I have been putting aquarium salt in his 10g tank whenever I do water changes. I've only done this a few times in the past few weeks, mostly as a preventative.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?

None.

How old is your fish (approximately)?

I would say no more than a year. I've had him about eight months now, I'd say.
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #3 
Hisaki Yuki001
New Member
 
Hisaki Yuki001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Other than looking like he's overfeed and stressed, he looks healthy. The only things I would change is the 100% water changes to 25% and like you said, cut back on feeding. Only feed him 1-2 times a day with as much food as the size of his eye because that's about as big as their stomachs are. You can also fast him once a week. After fasting him for 24hrs, you could feed him the inside of a blanched pea. This helps their digestive tract, acting as a mild laxative because Bettas are prone to constipation.

The reason why I said you might want to change water changes to 25% a week is because the stress of it may be causing his paleness. Whenever my Betta's get stressed when I'm doing deep tank maintenance like a complete water change they turn all pale and dull for a bit in color. Like I said, it could just be the stress of the complete water changes, plus his home being rearranged to often as well. With such an aggressive type of fish, I wouldn't be surprised if he's stressed due to it, especially when they can be very protective of their territory. To him, it's like being thrown into a new home each week.

I ussaully do 25-30% water changes on my tanks once a week. I rinse out my filter cartriges every two weeks, adding start zyme each time. Once a month, I'll drain 3/4 of the tank water into holding pails with the betta/bettas in their holding tanks, and then proceed with a deep clean, rinsing out everything and resetting it back up. When I set it back up I place the set-aside water back into the tank and then mix it with 25% fresh de-chlorinated water. This makes it a 75%/25% mix as if I had done a 25% water change in the end. I've noticed since I've started doing this that my Bettas seem a lot less stressed and the water remains more stable. I've noticed that on those rare occasions when I've had to do a complete water change that my Bettas usually seem a lot more stressed when they return to their tank, also including longer time for them to darken up their color. Hope this helps...^_^
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #4 
rswfire
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisaki Yuki001 View Post
Other than looking like he's overfeed and stressed, he looks healthy. The only things I would change is the 100% water changes to 25% and like you said, cut back on feeding. Only feed him 1-2 times a day with as much food as the size of his eye because that's about as big as their stomachs are. You can also fast him once a week. After fasting him for 24hrs, you could feed him the inside of a blanched pea. This helps their digestive tract, acting as a mild laxative because Bettas are prone to constipation.

The reason why I said you might want to change water changes to 25% a week is because the stress of it may be causing his paleness. Whenever my Betta's get stressed when I'm doing deep tank maintenance like a complete water change they turn all pale and dull for a bit in color. Like I said, it could just be the stress of the complete water changes, plus his home being rearranged to often as well. With such an aggressive type of fish, I wouldn't be surprised if he's stressed due to it, especially when they can be very protective of their territory. To him, it's like being thrown into a new home each week.

I ussaully do 25-30% water changes on my tanks once a week. I rinse out my filter cartriges every two weeks, adding start zyme each time. Once a month, I'll drain 3/4 of the tank water into holding pails with the betta/bettas in their holding tanks, and then proceed with a deep clean, rinsing out everything and resetting it back up. When I set it back up I place the set-aside water back into the tank and then mix it with 25% fresh de-chlorinated water. This makes it a 75%/25% mix as if I had done a 25% water change in the end. I've noticed since I've started doing this that my Bettas seem a lot less stressed and the water remains more stable. I've noticed that on those rare occasions when I've had to do a complete water change that my Bettas usually seem a lot more stressed when they return to their tank, also including longer time for them to darken up their color. Hope this helps...^_^
Well, thanks so much. I never considered my baby might be stressed. He's so care-free and he loves to watch me clean his tank! Maybe I'm misinterpreting his expression, lol... It could be, "What are you doing to my home now?!" I dote on the little guy, haha.
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #5 
Hisaki Yuki001
New Member
 
Hisaki Yuki001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
Well, thanks so much. I never considered my baby might be stressed. He's so care-free and he loves to watch me clean his tank! Maybe I'm misinterpreting his expression, lol... It could be, "What are you doing to my home now?!" I dote on the little guy, haha.
I understand..^_^
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 
roadrunner
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I think he is ok, maybe little stressed. You should cycle your 10g tank. there is lots of info on the net, so I won't go into any details on how to do it. Then you will need to do only small WC once is cycled. It will be easier for you and your betta. Get seachem stability to help you with cycling.
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #7 
rswfire
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I took out his plants today. I've had trouble keeping them from decaying too rapidly, which is probably adding to his stress. It looks like he injured himself slightly on the net.

What should I do? Just give him some aquarium salt?
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #8 
rswfire
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
I think he is ok, maybe little stressed. You should cycle your 10g tank. there is lots of info on the net, so I won't go into any details on how to do it. Then you will need to do only small WC once is cycled. It will be easier for you and your betta. Get seachem stability to help you with cycling.
Thanks. I will research this...
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possibly Sick - Need advice PLEASE WendyT Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 2 11-25-2009 12:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.