Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #1 
RayneForhest

Jarring??

Does 'jarring' work by limiting the fish or does it work by isolation?
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Jarring is a term used when breeders first separate their fry. The males especially need to be jarred when they first start to show aggression towards their siblings.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #3 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Jarring is a term used when breeders first separate their fry. The males especially need to be jarred when they first start to show aggression towards their siblings.
... and its best to do it before they figure out that the net catches them. Betta can rheeeeely move once they decide to.

In the US we call it "cupping"
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

I'm in the US and most of us call it jarring haha. But ya it's a breeder term.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

Thunderloon,

I don't use nets at all.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #6 
RayneForhest

I dont use nets either.

I heard some members say that once the fry are jarred, their fins grow...etc.

Do the jarred ones outgrow/grow faster than their siblings?
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #7 
Thunderloon

no, growth rate is based on the capacity of the environment to retard growth and the rate of feeding.

In cup, out of cup, whatever doesn't make a difference with the exception that a tank of dead males with one over-stuffed dying victorious bull male if you wait too long.

The whole "the fish will grow to the tank size" is BS. Pure BS.

The fish will grow until whatever limitations the tank's cleanliness and maintenance stop it. Simply that at some point the health of a given fish will be impacted by its own waste and the aeration to the extent that it no longer grows. I'd be willing to bet, with a sponsor, that I could grow a Jack Dempsey to its maximum size in a 15R if I have sufficient filtration, aeration, feeding and enough flow for him to get exercise. If you just stuck a Jack in a 15R with a regular 15 gallon filter on it, he'd toxify long before he was too big to swim around.

If you think of the point where the girls grow their ovipositors and the boys start growing the male fins as puberty, you'll understand why the cupping occurs right before fin growth diverges.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #8 
Shimizoki

I read that a fish secretes something that acts as a growth inhibiter. One fish secreting is isn't enough to do anything... however a tank of fish will secrete enough to slow down growth. For optimum growth you should do 25-50% water changes daily after the first 2 weeks.

Thats what I have read at least... I don't know if its true... but it has worldwide results so I can only assume it is. (or at least water changes = bigger fish, dunno about the secretions.)
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
no, growth rate is based on the capacity of the environment to retard growth and the rate of feeding.

In cup, out of cup, whatever doesn't make a difference with the exception that a tank of dead males with one over-stuffed dying victorious bull male if you wait too long.

The whole "the fish will grow to the tank size" is BS. Pure BS.

The fish will grow until whatever limitations the tank's cleanliness and maintenance stop it. Simply that at some point the health of a given fish will be impacted by its own waste and the aeration to the extent that it no longer grows. I'd be willing to bet, with a sponsor, that I could grow a Jack Dempsey to its maximum size in a 15R if I have sufficient filtration, aeration, feeding and enough flow for him to get exercise. If you just stuck a Jack in a 15R with a regular 15 gallon filter on it, he'd toxify long before he was too big to swim around.

If you think of the point where the girls grow their ovipositors and the boys start growing the male fins as puberty, you'll understand why the cupping occurs right before fin growth diverges.
Like goldfish in bowls, or common plecos in 10gal tanks. Sure, they'll live there but because of the limits the tank puts on the fish, they never grow. So so sad, especially when I see these large fish in small tanks on our local for sale site :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Fry excrete a hormone that stunts the growth of the fry. That's one of the reasons why frequent water changes are important.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote