Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #1 
lydiastephen

Tap Water Ammonia Levels

Hi All -

Posted a while back about my fish, Goliath and Gallimimus, who constantly bounce back and forth between healthy and nearly finless due to rot despite water changes, heaters, attempted filtration, etc. Goliath is a crowntail and Gallimimus is a veiltail. We recently adopted a halfmoon king, whose name is Moloch (and he is, so far, doing a-okay and recovered from his Petco-fin rot.)

I tested our tap water (which we have used in our tanks since we moved here; prior to that we lived in Maine and had no problems) and the ammonia levels, out of the faucet, hover someplace between .25 and .5. I live in Worcester, Massachusetts, so we get city water and it's probably all sorts of treated, although the pH consistently tests within range.

Is there a way for me to lower ammonia levels in our tap water before changing our fish's water? I've read about something called Prime, but have also read that it will give you a false positive reading on an ammonia drop test if you use it which leads me to wonder how you would test to see if the water is safer or not.

Any thought or direction would be great, thanks!

Lydia, Goliath, Gallimimus and Moloch.
lydiastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

That is what you need to get...Prime by Seachem....it will change the ammonia to the safe forum ammonium....you can buy an ammonia testing product recommended by Prime to get the true reading, however, I don't know the brand name but you can go to their web-site or it is listed on the bottle... I think......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #3 
lydiastephen

lydiastephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Yes Prime is amazing stuff..
We have ammonia in our tapwater as well and that is the stuff I use.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, habitat, health, testing, water