Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 
Pitluvs

Don't shoot me please! Rescuing Bettas?

But I need to ask a question that's been KILLING me since I joined.

Why do people say they are rescuing Bettas from pet stores?

I work in rescue for small animals, pet rats to be exact. Pet rats get just as little care as Bettas, and most times their fate is to be fed to another animal in a very scary and stressful situation. In the pet rat world, we boycott pet stores. We do not go in and buy every rat we see, to save them from being fed to animals or over being over bred or being shoved in a hamster cage for the rest of their lives. We do not buy our cages, food, bedding, toys, hammocks from pet stores. We set up rescues for people to adopt from, we take in rats that need homes from local sites like Craigslist (USA) or Kijiji (Canada). By buying them from the pet stores, we are telling the stores it's ok to stock them, because they will be bought. By emptying the selves of rats, we are giving them space to get more in to sell. Sure it's crappy for the rats left there, but it's slowing the process down. For every rat that is bought from a pet store, another replaces it.

It's the same with Bettas :( Even though they are horribly taken care of, in tiny cups of dirty water and barely holding onto life... by buying that Betta you are saving him/her... but you are also opening that spot for another Betta to be tortured. It's a cycle, supply and demand. The more we buy, the more they bring them in.

What I want to know is why do people call this a rescue? In the rescue world, we call this paying the stores for doing a horrible job. Nothing will ever change as long as they profit from their ill care of animals.

I dunno, just wanted to ask is all. I would much rather support non animal/fish stores, fish only stores or buy online. I buy the majority of my stuff online or from WalMart. Sure, I just bought Ben from my pet store but I didn't rescue him. I also bought everything he needed from WalMart so the pet store wouldn't proffit. They made $5 off me, not $100.

Please, don't shoot me!! But if we sit back and look at it, really we're just supporting this treatment right? Why not support a local breeder who works hard to take care of these babies? Why not buy everything at a store that doesn't sell fish in bad tanks/cups? Maybe they will get the point then?

*shrugs*
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #2 
Luimeril

alot of the time, they contact people selling or giving away bettas on Kijiji and craigslist, or talk to pet store managers about giving them the bettas for either free, or discounted prices. that's what i've always been told. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I understand your frustration, and maybe rescue is the wrong word to use...true its a supply and demand.....you can't save them all....but it matters to that one fish you took home.......

For some people the local pet shops like the big box stores, walmart are the only place they have to get a Betta and/or supplies...not everyone can buy from a breeder or online........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

See, our WalMart doesn't sell fish. Hasn't since we became super walmarts 6 years ago. I never thought of that.

I dunno, I just see stores selling off their betta and they can't wait to get more in... kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #5 
elijahfeathers

It's a pet peeve of mine, too-- it's not a rescue when you buy a fish from a store. It's a rescue if you get a fish for free cause it's so bad they'll give it to you-- but even at a discounted price it's a purchase still. You didn't get a scratched up table for free, you got it for a discount. It's the same for fish. None of my fish are rescues, even though they'll all from pet stores. They're just... purchases. I buy at Petsmart and Petco because those are the places I can buy. I'm supporting them when I buy, and I know this. But honestly I don't want to buy offline and have things shipped to me-- especially not with how mail's handled in my area. And I'm cheap. I love bettas, but I don't want to pay an extra $45 for one fish to get to me in time.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Every Betta is deserving of a clean healthy spacious home, don't get me wrong. They didn't choose to be pet store or breeder bettas. Just the word rescue urks me I guess? You can take an animal from a bad situation but as long as you pay, it's not a rescue. It's giving up hard earned money to ensure the safety and health of a pet yes. But if you talked the manager into paying nothing and ran for the hills with your new pet, that's a rescue.

Don't even get me going on those who say they adopt pets from breeders....

I guess if you have no other option, then that's that right?? But those who do have options, those who do buy online but still buy at pet stores? Eeeeee. I know I bought mine, and I'll say that. But I don't plan on buying another in store and if I do, I do not buy the materials I need for the Betta. You should have seen the managers FACE when I told Ben "You're mine now Buddy, lets go to WalMart and get you a new home!" hahaha
Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #7 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

i agree with you completely pitluvs.
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #8 
Luimeril

i know BBR got all theirs for free, or from people who were gonna flush them. i often call Remy a rescue, but he wasn't. x: it's just easier to call him such. i don't know what to call him otherwise. >.>;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #9 
MikiMaki

I think when people say rescue, they mean they feel as if they are rescuing the animal from dying. (That is why I used it atleast, and mind you only one 1 of my 4) I have seen some mammalian animal rescues pay for an animal if that is what they feel they needed to do to save that animals life. We need to lobby for stronger laws, better enforcement and education, for all animals. It comes down to money in the end, and these stores won't stop selling sick and dying bettas. Trust me, my state just repealed laws we voted on to have stricter and more enforced laws on puppy mills to stop a few disgusting mill owners from complaining.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

I know a lot of rescues that would never pay a company for an animal, but they would pay an owner for an animal if it were to save it's life. I know if someone had a Betta in a tank that was getting horrible treatment and was selling for $40, I'd offer a free home and if that wouldn't work, I'd offer $20 just to get it out of there. But that's not profiting a business, that's just paying someone for the tank.

Our pet store has stopped selling puppies :)