Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #1 
earthworm88

Hello! First time Betta care taker here :)

Hi everyone!
First time ever having my own pets....2 common bettas, Lapis & Lazuli! (The names aren't that original after all ;) )I have been reading, surfing and cruising the net for all info regarding betta cares etc. and I stumbled upon this great forum!

For now, I have a question for you all experts and betta lovers. I got mine a week ago from a fish pet store, the darn shopkeeper broke 3 pieces off the anal fin of my Betta Lapis (which I didn't realize at the time) while in the process of transferring him into a plastic bag, sadly Lapis also did a mile high dive stunt or a suicide attempt and landed on the floor. He seemed ok, so I bought him and gave him a new home.

I understand that the fins will grow back, but my Lapis appeared to try to fuse his fins together to connect the gap of the missing part which of course mars the appearance of the anal fin now :( That aside, I want to make sure that this is normal.

Any advice is highly appreciated. I will attempt to attach the 1st day photo and today's for reference.

TIA!
Cheers!
Attached Images

earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

The first fella looks to be in pretty bad shape fin wise...poor fella....I would suggest that you start a salt and tannin treatment on him for the next 10 days to help prevent any secondary infections.....the other fella fresh water treatment would be fine.....

Salt and tannin treatment-
Pre mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins either from IAL or oak leaf....use this water for 100% daily water changes for the next 10 days

Tannins-IAL (Indian almond leaf) usually find this online and Oak leaf...naturally dried and fallen from the tree..Oak leaf..I get mine from my yard-I use 10-12 crushed/gal of water

I would use a small container for a QT for treatment-that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range...

Fresh dechlorinated water treatment-depending on the tank size-make 50-100% daily water changes for 10-14 days

Nutrition is really important for healing...high protein varied diet fed in small frequent meals...live food is best, then frozen foods...but a good quality pellets will work too.....

You have a couple of very pretty fellas....good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 
Shimizoki

Hiya Earthworm! I'm new as well so I don't have anything fancy to say. Just wanted to welcome you to the forums.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #4 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

The first fella looks to be in pretty bad shape fin wise...poor fella....I would suggest that you start a salt and tannin treatment on him for the next 10 days to help prevent any secondary infections.....the other fella fresh water treatment would be fine.....

Salt and tannin treatment-
Pre mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and tannins either from IAL or oak leaf....use this water for 100% daily water changes for the next 10 days

Tannins-IAL (Indian almond leaf) usually find this online and Oak leaf...naturally dried and fallen from the tree..Oak leaf..I get mine from my yard-I use 10-12 crushed/gal of water

I would use a small container for a QT for treatment-that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range...

Fresh dechlorinated water treatment-depending on the tank size-make 50-100% daily water changes for 10-14 days

Nutrition is really important for healing...high protein varied diet fed in small frequent meals...live food is best, then frozen foods...but a good quality pellets will work too.....

You have a couple of very pretty fellas....good luck and keep us posted.....
I think they're the same betta, just before and after >_>
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #5 
Shimizoki

lol you are right... it is the same fish. Tricked me aswell. I see where he is mentioning that the fin was fused together rather than regrowing.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #6 
earthworm88

Hi Oldfishlady, thanks very much for taking the time to give your suggestion. They are good advice to keep in mind for future reference. As Tisia pointed out, they are one and the same :D The first one was before and the second is today 1 week later.

Hi Shimizoki, I would like to welcome you to the forum as well. Hope you are enjoying this forum as much as I do.

Tisia, thanks for clearing that up for me! I had to go back to my post to double check that my post was not too confusing :)

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You did a great job on your Betta...they look like two different fish...I guess your post confused me since you posted that you had got two Bettas to begin with-I should have read your post more carefully so not to waste your time....keep up the good work.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #8 
Shimizoki

well the 2 pictures looked so different I assumed the same thing. Besides that tidbit of info will help me out in the long run. My fish has a tear in his fin so I'm gunna go grab some oak leaves ;)

So even if it was a goof on your part, I'm sure the OP doesn't mind.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #9 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
You did a great job on your Betta...they look like two different fish...I guess your post confused me since you posted that you had got two Bettas to begin with-I should have read your post more carefully so not to waste your time....keep up the good work.....
It was definitely time well spent learning from the experienced. As my mom always said, when someone gives you advice, it's like putting money in your pocket. :) So it is greatly appreciated.

Plus it's hard to find all these type of ingredients/meds where I am now, it's good to know so I can stock up when I go back to the States.

Shimizoki, hope your fish's fin tear heal up soon!
Cheers!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Welcome to the forum! Your betta looks like he's going to turn out just gorgeous when he's healed up. I hope to see more pics of his progress! He's got such lovely colors.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote