Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #1 
Minxies

Question Hoping I'm just paranoid...

Housing
What size is your tank? 3gal
What temperature is your tank? 78degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? Not yet, next paycheck I'll be looking for a heater. (Living in Florida; at night the coldest my tank gets is 76 degrees (been watching it))
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nope.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon- Betta pellets, TopFin-Freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 25% water change almost every day to every two to three days. 100% water change once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? *points above*
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin water conditioner, and Top Fin Bacteria supplement.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25-.5 (trying to figure out how to bring the ammonia levels down now. However it's a dip sticks...Heard they can be wrong)
Nitrite: NA- Don't have the kit for it yet.
Nitrate: NA- Don't have the kit for it yet.
pH: NA- Don't have the kit for it yet.
Hardness: NA- Don't have the kit for it yet.
Alkalinity: NA- Don't have the kit for it yet.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The very tips of his pelvis fin. They don't seem to be getting bigger. Been watching them for about 24 hours now. (didn't notice it until last night)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not really, he's active, he eats (and begs for more, still flares at things, he seems to be fine.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 100% water change last night; and a thurough rinse of hot water over his plants, gravel, and anything else that goes in his tank with him.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I'm aware of so far.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. I bought him from PetSmart a couple weeks ago.

I woke up this mornin; and in the end I made this thread... I noticed last night thatAoi has a white tip on the edge of his fin. Checking the pictures I took last night, I see that it's in those images as well.

I'm not sure what the heck this is. Being a first time Betta owner I looked over the diseases and illnesses stickies and I haven't a bloody clue. I'm hoping it's just Aoi's fins simply having white tips and nothing else, but I'm not sure.

I circled it there since the lighting in the picture is kinda funky. But it looks like the color is leaving his fins. I did notice it last night too; and keeping an eye on it, it doesn't appear to be getting bigger or spreading.

Help? X___x
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #2 
Punki

Could it possibly be new fin growth? My male has white tips on both pectorals that showed up about a month after getting him.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 
Sivan

Does it appear to be part of him or attached to him?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 
Rain Drop

It just looks like a pigment change. The fin tips of a few of my bettas turned white too about a month or so after I got them. I wouldn't worry over it, it's harmless.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #5 
Neil D

My DeT betta Josh has white tipped pectorals (my avatar). I don't really know why your ammonia wont go down...it should really be up...hmmm...
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

My guy has white fins, but you can see a little nub of solid white at the base of those fins. Keep an eye on him but I bet it's nothing to worry about. He's gorgeous!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #7 
Tisia

you might have ammonia in your tap water which could be why you keep seeing it. looks like the top fin stuff does take care of ammonia, but the way it generally works is by converting it to ammonium which isn't as dangerous to fish, but will still show up with most test kits
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 AM   #8 
Minxies

UPDATE--- So, I've been keeping an eye on him; and the white tips don't seem to get any bigger or smaller. He's still healthy and active. I've slowed down the frequent water changes; and I also went back to PetSmart and got the TopFin ammonia stuff to lower the ammonia in his water. (I think it's the tap water that's aiding to the high levels)

I also spoke with the lady at petsmart and she said to ONLY use the ammonia reducer since that too also reduces the Chlorine in the water, and the other heavy metals. She said that both pretty much do the same thing. Using both at the same time would be too much.
In the winter, go back to the conditioner since they up the Chlorine and such in Florida's water.

Thanks everyone for helping me out, I'll continue to keep you posted on Aoi. :/ I'm still a bit worried for him, and I think he knows it.
He swims and rests near the other side of the tank that's closest to me; rather than hiding behind his plants or filter to rest..
Minxies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #9 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minxies View Post
UPDATE--- So, I've been keeping an eye on him; and the white tips don't seem to get any bigger or smaller. He's still healthy and active. I've slowed down the frequent water changes; and I also went back to PetSmart and got the TopFin ammonia stuff to lower the ammonia in his water. (I think it's the tap water that's aiding to the high levels)

I also spoke with the lady at petsmart and she said to ONLY use the ammonia reducer since that too also reduces the Chlorine in the water, and the other heavy metals. She said that both pretty much do the same thing. Using both at the same time would be too much.
In the winter, go back to the conditioner since they up the Chlorine and such in Florida's water.

Thanks everyone for helping me out, I'll continue to keep you posted on Aoi. :/ I'm still a bit worried for him, and I think he knows it.
He swims and rests near the other side of the tank that's closest to me; rather than hiding behind his plants or filter to rest..
You need to check the label yourself to see if it removes that stuff-- thb, I dont trust anything those store people say, they usually are very misinformed, even when they mean well. It wouldnt be too bad to put both in, just dont go nuts on it.

If the ammonia reducer says it removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals as well as ammonia, then thats fine-- Prime by seachem does this in only 2 drops a gallon, which is cost efficient.

Dont switch conditioners, stick with what you have the whole year. When that time comes, test your tank water after you treat it with that stuff and check the levels are ok. They might be fine. If not, add more conditioner.

Those white tips are normal pigmentation. Many many bettas have white tips to their ventrals. All of mine and my bf's do.
He wouldnt show signs of illness or rot in that area anyway-- that would be very unusual. Youd see it somewhere else way earlier.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote