Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #1 
Genesis

Saved some turtle eggs!

My parents went fishing a few nights ago, the night after a really, really heavy rain storm (we got like, 3-4 inches of rain within 2 hours)... and found some turtle eggs washed out of their nest. D:
Well, we THINK they're turtle eggs. They kind of look like snake eggs. Either way, they were in a puddle of water near the edge of the lake.

They took them home with them. Now, we knew absolutely nothing about turtle eggs until we looked it up. Apparently it's illegal to take them from lakes (too late now), and you're not supposed to flip them (doesn't really matter now, since they rolled out of a nest). But we did look up a little on incubating them, and telling if they've died or not.

A few days later, and they haven't collapsed yet, or attracted any flies. We're pretty sure they're not gonna hatch, but can't hurt to try, right?
Picture!

Poor little eggies. I feel bad for them. :c
They're now safe and secure (hopefully) in a makeshift incubator (butter bowl with holes punched in the top, half full of sand that I dampen daily) next to my betta's tank so I can't forget about them.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #2 
Shimizoki

I wish you the best of luck in trying to save them... however I'm not sure if it was a good idea to move them.

be careful to make sure its not something crazy like gator eggs. I think they look similar to that.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #3 
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
I wish you the best of luck in trying to save them... however I'm not sure if it was a good idea to move them.

be careful to make sure its not something crazy like gator eggs. I think they look similar to that.
They were inside the lake. Like, a little puddle off of the lake, unburied and floating.
I made extra sure when my parents brought it up, because I thought maybe they had seen them in the nest or something. But it was just those 2, and they didn't see any other ones or a nest, unfortunately. I think it may have been flooded out and these two tumbled down to the shore.

I don't think they'd be gator eggs. Actually... I don't even think we have gators here. We might, though. I've never heard of them being here.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 
bettafish15

I wouldnt have moved them on the off chance the mother could have found them... how will you take care of them if they do hatch? They wont have skills for the wild...
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #5 
Shimizoki

They might if the day they hatch you return them to the wild... turtles dont have a mother to teach them the ways. Atleast some turtles dont.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #6 
Genesis

We have mostly sun turtles, box turtles, and snapping turtles where I live. I honestly don't think I've seen any other types in the wild, but I'm obviously not an expert on turtles. xD

Two of those can definitely be kept as pets, not so sure about snapping turtles. My aunt has had turtles her entire life, and said if they hatch, she'll take the babies to keep. And in the case she's not back from her trip to New Mexico when/if they do hatch, she gave us a rundown on caring for the babies, and my cousin will bring over extra stuff they have from their current turtle to take care of them until she does get back.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #7 
fightergirl2710

There is more than a great chance that if the eggs have been flipped over, they are dead. And maybe they weren't even fertile... Turtles lay eggs that are unfertilised like chickens :)... I keep my fingers crossed that they're ok because there's nothing like baby turtles to make the world better. :D
You need a temperatures of average 85 degrees and never above 95.. Never move them once they're in incubation. Although chances are slim, I really hope there will be some babies..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #8 
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
There is more than a great chance that if the eggs have been flipped over, they are dead. And maybe they weren't even fertile... Turtles lay eggs that are unfertilised like chickens :)... I keep my fingers crossed that they're ok because there's nothing like baby turtles to make the world better. :D
You need a temperatures of average 85 degrees and never above 95.. Never move them once they're in incubation. Although chances are slim, I really hope there will be some babies..
Yeah, we read about that. Poor little guys. D:
We're keeping our fingers crossed, but not getting our hopes up.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #9 
laughing

I'm worried, turtle eggs are usually ball-shaped, not oval. Alligator eggs are usually that shape/color, though. Make SURE that lid is secure, so if they do hatch when you aren't right there and turn out to be gators, you don't have 2 gator babies roaming around.

I think it'd be best if they did hatch to send them to a wildlife reserve/rescue or something. If you're able to get a professional to identify the animal when it hatches (if it's a turtle/snake, the species) and it can be kept captive, then just keep them in the right conditions.

I'm nervous! :/
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #10 
diablo13

Aw, baby whatevers! I hope they aren't something crazy, like poisonous snake eggs! But turtles would be cool. I know you *can* keep snapping turtles, but they need huge tanks, and eat things like frozen mice and live feeder fish.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote