Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #21 
bettafish15

Oh, I see. I hadnt heard that term used before for heaters.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #22 
Shimizoki

well its probably not an oftenly used term since I just made it up... but it seems like the heater is the most important part. you cant keep the tank at the right temp without one.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #23 
flowerslegacy

No trying to "freak out other members needlessly". If their 10W is too much for small tanks under 3 gals then perhaps they shouldn't advertise, nor guarantee a 1 degree difference in tanks "up to" 3 gals. That was the only reason I purchased it. My tank was 2.5 which is almost the full load for the heater I purchased. I was not aware that the heater was recalled, but that is what the Petsmart employee stated could've been the issue. She even stated "I'm surpised that happened with the Marineland." A recall would at least be a good excuse for what I experienced. That was an 8 degree difference from THEIR guarantee.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #24 
Adabell

I'm glad that this hasn't happened to me. I would've freaked out if it did because I just bought Isaiah and I already have such great feelings towards him (he's like a son to me). There may not be any heaters that can have a manual tempurature switch for the smaller tanks, but it's worth looking for one since the heaters are the most important piece of equipment when it comes to tropical fish. At the moment I have one that's auto set and it isn't giving me any problems, but later on when I update the tank I'm going to shop for one that I can set the tempurature on. I want to be able to have control over the tempurature just in case something happens.
Adabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #25 
flowerslegacy

I've heard and read of a lot of friends and folks on this forum that have great success with these small pre-set heaters. I think the best thing is to just check your thermometer often and to always consider the ambient temperature in your house. No matter how big of a tank you have you can always have variations. The best thing about this forum is the awesome information we can glean, but experience is the best teacher of all. Most of my experience is from big, community tanks but I'm learning a whole new set of rules with the AWESOME betta!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #26 
elijahfeathers

My heater, as another poster said, was for tanks UP TO three gallons, and place din a 2.5. It brought the tank to 90 instead of the advertised 74. I have a tetra heater from walmart, and the tetra heater is a 10 watt and keeps mt 2.5 tank at about 78 in the same room, in the same spot. It keeps the 5 gallon at the same temp, though it takes it longer to reach it.

The heater I got was not recalled. I expected better, and instead wound up with a 90 degree tank. I don't think that's causing needless alarm to members-- I think it's ranting an d I've got a right to because a product did nearly cook my fish, and it was from a trusted name.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote