Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #41 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
LOL I'd love to if you live in the Tampa FL area!

The person who owns the betta fish farm is my aunts best friend and they live next door to each other so he gets exotic ones sometimes and I get them for free!

Thats amazing! I wanna go too lol.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 AM   #42 
Kytkattin

I have set my limit at 2 for now. I could get more, but I know that when I get lazy/busy, 2 in a divided, filtered tank is easy to manage. My dream fish is a king betta, but I want more space than 2.75 gallons per fish if I get one of those.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #43 
laughing

I can see why they put limits...

1.) Buying impulsively too fast can quickly lead to you getting bored and just wanting more, and if you don't get more because they really can't afford it at that point, so many kids/teens fall out of love with the hobby then they're left with a crap load of fish. They could quite possible say TWO NOW and stick to their guns, and wait for opporunities to add more. For all you know this 3rd might be the maximum for 6 or so months, then they'll say okay, just so you can continually get the "thrill". I space my buys because I know I'll want more, and I don't want to end up with 20 on my hands.

2.) Water bills do get expensive! Of course they don't tell you about their bills, you're in middle school, that is NOT something for you to worry about. My mother flipped on when I had my 20 community tank set up and we did water changes together with tiny bowls. >.< It made it easier getting a 5 gallon bucket, because now nearly all the water goes directly to my tanks, and gallons aren't going down the drain. (Literally.) Electricity bills are very pricey, too! You have filters and lights for all of them!

3.) They want you to learn impulse control. If you just buy, buy, buy, you'll never learn patience and thinking purchases over. By limiting you, you're looking at each fish considering them more clearly. You see a pretty fish, but you know it will be your limit fish, so you sit there contimplating for a long time, then decide s/he is just not right, and then you end up buying the most amazing fish of your dreams, which then makes you happier.

4.) They don't want you to get too attached! Not because they don't want you to form a bond with them, but because if you have too many and get too attached/obsessed, and one gets sick/dies, then you're the one in crippling pain and crying for days unable to function. They don't want that in their child. They'd rather you have a meaningful "relationship" with just a few because then when one passes you'll be more peaceful with it, rather than have 10 and 5 die in a week! If you only have 2, then the maximum loss you can have is two.

I could list many many more reasons! I love my fish, but have limited myself because I already know all these things. (Grown up, har har har!) I want to max myself out with 1-2 more, leaving me with a 20 gallon long split into 3, and perhaps a 5 gallon, and that is it.

You'll learn more as you grow up, and as many have posted, you'll start to see from their perspective. As a kid I always wanted a dog, they are my huge freakin' passion. My mom always said no, and it was really in best interest, but now that I am older, purchasing my own dog, I have never felt a greater feeling of satisfaction/accomplishment in myself. I now know I have truly earned this animal, and I have waited such a long time, and now it is mine! It is a great feeling! The same with horses. Dogs and horses are kind of my thing... My mom always said no to the horse, and she was right about everything growing up. I bet if I did buy one, I'd be selling it within a year. (Expenses mostly.) Now that I have mine, I cherish him more than anything.

You think your parents are so cruel, but they *usually* have good intentions that you've yet to see, I promise! ;)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #44 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I can see why they put limits...

1.) Buying impulsively too fast can quickly lead to you getting bored and just wanting more, and if you don't get more because they really can't afford it at that point, so many kids/teens fall out of love with the hobby then they're left with a crap load of fish. They could quite possible say TWO NOW and stick to their guns, and wait for opporunities to add more. For all you know this 3rd might be the maximum for 6 or so months, then they'll say okay, just so you can continually get the "thrill". I space my buys because I know I'll want more, and I don't want to end up with 20 on my hands.

2.) Water bills do get expensive! Of course they don't tell you about their bills, you're in middle school, that is NOT something for you to worry about. My mother flipped on when I had my 20 community tank set up and we did water changes together with tiny bowls. >.< It made it easier getting a 5 gallon bucket, because now nearly all the water goes directly to my tanks, and gallons aren't going down the drain. (Literally.) Electricity bills are very pricey, too! You have filters and lights for all of them!

3.) They want you to learn impulse control. If you just buy, buy, buy, you'll never learn patience and thinking purchases over. By limiting you, you're looking at each fish considering them more clearly. You see a pretty fish, but you know it will be your limit fish, so you sit there contimplating for a long time, then decide s/he is just not right, and then you end up buying the most amazing fish of your dreams, which then makes you happier.

4.) They don't want you to get too attached! Not because they don't want you to form a bond with them, but because if you have too many and get too attached/obsessed, and one gets sick/dies, then you're the one in crippling pain and crying for days unable to function. They don't want that in their child. They'd rather you have a meaningful "relationship" with just a few because then when one passes you'll be more peaceful with it, rather than have 10 and 5 die in a week! If you only have 2, then the maximum loss you can have is two.

I could list many many more reasons! I love my fish, but have limited myself because I already know all these things. (Grown up, har har har!) I want to max myself out with 1-2 more, leaving me with a 20 gallon long split into 3, and perhaps a 5 gallon, and that is it.

You'll learn more as you grow up, and as many have posted, you'll start to see from their perspective. As a kid I always wanted a dog, they are my huge freakin' passion. My mom always said no, and it was really in best interest, but now that I am older, purchasing my own dog, I have never felt a greater feeling of satisfaction/accomplishment in myself. I now know I have truly earned this animal, and I have waited such a long time, and now it is mine! It is a great feeling! The same with horses. Dogs and horses are kind of my thing... My mom always said no to the horse, and she was right about everything growing up. I bet if I did buy one, I'd be selling it within a year. (Expenses mostly.) Now that I have mine, I cherish him more than anything.

You think your parents are so cruel, but they *usually* have good intentions that you've yet to see, I promise! ;)

Well said! Once you have your own kids you'll see why they put a limit on pets.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #45 
mickos

good luck :)
mickos is offline   Reply With Quote