Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #1 
TexasCichlid

New User

Hello everyone. Just recently getting back into keeping aquariums. I used to be an avid Malawi Cichlid guy ( http://www.cichlid-forum.com/tanks/images/6512a.jpg ), and I have been getting the itch to get back into the scene but prices have gone up so much on Africans it is crazy. So I am starting small ( very small ) to get a feel for it again.

I have a 1g Cubus with once of those fancy new "Dragonscale" Bettas from Petsmart. He is dark blue with black accents. What caught my eye is that his ventral fins are bright red with white tips -- the only red and white on him. Seems to be HM, and is a little smaller, but hoping he will grow some. Very active guy. I had a copper OHM that was 4 years old that passed away this weekend which prompted the new addition.

I've already hit the upgrade bug. I ordered a 4g Finnex from Ebay to house my new guy in, and will probably get a second dragonscale to put in the 1g at work. I will probably start looking at some low light plants as well. Anyone have any suggestions on a gravel siphon for a tank this small? I've always hand the luxury of 100% water changes in 2.5 gallon or less tanks, or the luxury of tons of room in 55+ gallon aquariums to get a wand around.

Here is my new tank. I'll have pictures of my new fish up this evening.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:1123

Last edited by TexasCichlid; 07-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Welcome to the forum! I'm a cichlid lover myself, hope to have a Malawi tank sometime down the road. We figured we had the perfect tank to start with, then upon taking it home realized it was a 45g long. We'll be getting Dwarfs and Angel fish instead lol Anywho, can't wait to see what your new boy looks like! 4 years, wow!!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #3 
Shimizoki

Hey Texas, welcome to the forums.

Those Cichlids look great, so does that new tank... i wonder how the colored lights will effect the look on your betta.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #4 
TexasCichlid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
Hey Texas, welcome to the forums.

Those Cichlids look great, so does that new tank... i wonder how the colored lights will effect the look on your betta.
I don't plan on using the colored lights. I wanted a flexible arm LED system and the cheaper one has complaints about being too dim. This one has quite a few more LED's and looks brighter. We will see! Malawai was a no brainer for me to keep around here because our tap water is naturally in the 8+ range that they are accustomed to from the rift lakes. Just throw in some Prime and some decorative limestone and that was it in terms of water. Very easy.

Here are some quick snaps. I apologize for my camera being on it's last legs. Also, he is VERY fast and active so it makes it tough to capture him. He also likes to taunt me when I have the camera and turn away, as you can see in the first picture.

I have him on Omega One Betta Buffet, and he's getting 3 pellets a day. I'm thinking he is still growing, so should he be getting some more? Or is this adequate?

Last edited by TexasCichlid; 07-12-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

OH WOW he's so pretty!!! :D
3 pellets sounds good to me, as long as your not over-feeding. I feed my bettas 2x's a day 3 pellets each and fast them on Fridays. :)
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #6 
TexasCichlid

Thanks for the information. I fed my old guy 4 pellets a day, once a day but he was full grown. I will try the 2-3 pellets 2x a day and a fasting day to see if I can't grow this guy up a bit. His body is about as big as a soda pop tab, not including his finnage.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #7 
Shimizoki

Thats a super cool looking fish, I just recently started reading up on genetics so I have a larger appreciation for a nice colored betta now.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Thanks for the information. I fed my old guy 4 pellets a day, once a day but he was full grown. I will try the 2-3 pellets 2x a day and a fasting day to see if I can't grow this guy up a bit. His body is about as big as a soda pop tab, not including his finnage.
WOAH no way! He must be a little one! Where did you get him?
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #9 
PhilipPhish

Welcome!

I've got a Cichlid or 2, but I also have some Betta's.

I have Oscars and Plecos in a large 75 gallon, and my 2 Betta babies.

Your fish seems young, most fish at petco and petsmart are pretty small. Tigger is very small, about 1/2 the size of Philip...and I got him from Petco

Anyway, welcome!

Your boy looks very pretty!

Your feeding schedule sounds good, and regular water changes work too.
Your new tank has a lid right? or is it just open? If its open, just will get in the water and make a film on the top and on any plants, so make sure you clean it frequently.

I'm sure you know what your doing though!
: )
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #10 
TexasCichlid

Never had a nano tank, nor a "low flow" style tank. I always assume I have no idea what I am doing. Also, never had a planted tank. I'd like to have some live plants on there, but not wanting to go crazy with CO2, lighting, dirt, etc. Java moss and java ferns seem to be obvious answers on what to plant. Any other recommendations there?

edit -- it's a rimless open top tank. Hopefully he is not a jumper, but I'll be keeping an eye on him. He's incredibly enthusiastic about his own reflection at this point and the corners of the tank, but he's not done any jumping yet.

Last edited by TexasCichlid; 07-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.