Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #1 
twopeasonepod

Is Tulip Just Old?

Hello! Long time lurker here, but finally decided to open an account. Thanks for all the good info so far!

So Tulip has been very "sad" lately -- he used to swim all around, but for the past week or so has been only laying at the bottom inside whatever hiding spot he has (I switch them up every week, so for the past few days he has had a diving mask/helmet and before that a neon groovy cave). He only comes out when I'm around and only goes up to breathe or eat. He is still eating 3-5 pellets twice a day (which gives me hope!) And he was making a ton of bubbles about two weeks ago.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon with a divider -- Tulip lives with R2-D2 (hey, my kids are 5 haha)
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 (in Hawaii so no need for a heater)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just R2

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-5 pellets twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner and Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: In the "ideal" range (<.25)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Can't really tell, but he looks sad. Maybe skinnier?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He only lays down now.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Changed the water.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? About a month ago, he did that thing where he was vertical at the bottom of the tank (standing on his lips), but was fine after a water change.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, but we've had him at least four months.

Tulip in April:

And today:

Thanks in advance!
twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

Your fella looks to be in pretty bad physical shape from that last pic....he looks to have some damaged fins and missing scale....good that he is still eating and I assume R2 is another Betta...correct......

In a 5gal with a filter and 2 Bettas in a divided tank-I would make 50% weekly water changes with vacuum, however, it is most likely in a constant state of cycling with the weekly 100%.......since you have a test kit...I would also make a second 50% weekly with water pram readings of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater until you have nitrate 5-10ppm....

Filter media-give this a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month

Any live plants.....

Right now-I would get him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range and start a 10 day salt and tannin treatment on him...or since your in Hawaii and have tropical like weather/temp you may not need to float the QT...goal is to keep a somewhat stable temp in the low normal range that your have the tank at now....76-77F....

Sounded like he may have had a buoyancy problem at one time so I would use Epsom salt not aquarium salt...

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins...either IAL (1 med-lrg/gal) or Oak leaf (10-12/gallon) use this treatment water for 100% daily water changes for the next 10-14 day while in the QT container.....
I would also cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ......

Its hard to say if it is age related....you have had him for 4 months and if you got him at a box type pet shop-he was most likely 8mo-1yr.....making him roughly 1-1.5yrs of age more or less......hopefully he will have at least another year or more...they are a short lived species to start....average 2-3 years...rarely 4+ but not unheard of.....

Nutrition is really important-small frequent meal of high quality foods...live is best if you have access....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #3 
twopeasonepod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum.....

Your fella looks to be in pretty bad physical shape from that last pic....he looks to have some damaged fins and missing scale....good that he is still eating and I assume R2 is another Betta...correct...... Yes, R2 is another Betta.

In a 5gal with a filter and 2 Bettas in a divided tank-I would make 50% weekly water changes with vacuum, however, it is most likely in a constant state of cycling with the weekly 100%.......since you have a test kit...I would also make a second 50% weekly with water pram readings of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater until you have nitrate 5-10ppm.... Okay we have the vacuum, I'll start using it and pick up a tester for nitrite.

Filter media-give this a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month

Any live plants..... No, should I get some?

Right now-I would get him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range and start a 10 day salt and tannin treatment on him...or since your in Hawaii and have tropical like weather/temp you may not need to float the QT...goal is to keep a somewhat stable temp in the low normal range that your have the tank at now....76-77F....

Sounded like he may have had a buoyancy problem at one time so I would use Epsom salt not aquarium salt... Going to get some now.

Pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins...either IAL (1 med-lrg/gal) or Oak leaf (10-12/gallon) use this treatment water for 100% daily water changes for the next 10-14 day while in the QT container..... What is IAL? I'll ask at the pet store.
I would also cover the top of the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ......

Its hard to say if it is age related....you have had him for 4 months and if you got him at a box type pet shop-he was most likely 8mo-1yr.....making him roughly 1-1.5yrs of age more or less......hopefully he will have at least another year or more...they are a short lived species to start....average 2-3 years...rarely 4+ but not unheard of.....

Nutrition is really important-small frequent meal of high quality foods...live is best if you have access.... I will find out how to get live brine shrimp or an equivalent.

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Thank you so much for all of the help. I've QT'd him for now and will go out and get the stuff!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #4 
Silverfang

IAL is Indian Almond Leaf, most pet stores don't carry it unfortunately.
Dried chemical free (no pesticides!) oak leaves can also be used if you can't get the IAL
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #5 
twopeasonepod

I put the IAL right into the water -- the whole leaf. Is that right? So how long do I have to let the epsom and IAL sit until it's ready for Tulip?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 AM   #6 
twopeasonepod

I just started using the treated water. I figure it has to be better than what he's in anyway.

If anyone can tell me what we may have done to cause this, I'd appreciate it! We want to be better Betta parents in the future.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #7 
twopeasonepod

He is starting to perk up! He is at least swimming a little in the cup instead of just floating on the bottom as he did in the tank.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Live plants are always good to have, however, unless you have proper lighting so that they actively grow it can end up being a bad thing as they die polluting the tank....live plants are not a must have...just nice to have and can help the water quality with active growth......

Its hard to say what went wrong....sometimes it just happens...generally the main reason for fish problems can be linked to stress and stress compromises the immune response....biggest causes of stress is water quality related....nutrition is a big factor too...without proper nutrition to help support the immune response.......domino effect......a balance......prevention....but sometimes no matter what you do...stuff happens since it can sometimes be genetic related and out of our control on the most part......

Good that he has perked up for you.......quality water, food and time......

When I pre-mix treatment water I like to let it steep for about an hour to let some of the tannins release and the Epsom salt dissolve...shake well before use....each day more tannins will release in the gallon jug of treatment water....the longer it steeps the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it.......

keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #9 
riese98

he doesn't sound very old i got my betta in December and at that point he was already full grown adult so he can't be getting old, check if he has a parasite.
riese98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #10 
twopeasonepod

Well now he is much more like his old self! He is swimming around the top of the water in the QT cup. Ate all the brine shrimp this morning (last night he didn't eat them all but I changed the water). The treatment water is getting darker and darker and he seems happier and happier. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for all the support!