Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #5471 
TheCrysCat

Like, with Zekie. He was kept in a warm 2.5 gal with good water (I don't have a test kit, but I do the water changes) but he was always a little more sensitive to things. He dropped dead of the blue the other day. I'd only had him for six months. I guess it's safe to assume that he was just old when I got him, because he wasn't sick or anything.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #5472 
Sweeda88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrysCat View Post
Like, with Zekie. He was kept in a warm 2.5 gal with good water (I don't have a test kit, but I do the water changes) but he was always a little more sensitive to things. He dropped dead of the blue the other day. I'd only had him for six months. I guess it's safe to assume that he was just old when I got him, because he wasn't sick or anything.
I doubt he was old. Pet store bettas are usually only around 6 months old, and the life expectancy for a Betta is 3-5 years.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #5473 
TheCrysCat

Then I dunno what happened to him. He was a tailbiter, so his fins were kind of ragged, but other than that he was just laying on the ground. No pineconing, no nothing. The day he died I didn't notice him acting weird. He just... died.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #5474 
metalbetta

Well, Delilah passed on today. Just after Azrael a few days ago. Both of freaking dropsy. I have yet to bury her... Don't know where yet. Kind of put a downer on my day.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #5475 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry, Madi. I've got another one on his way out, too. This time it's Morgan.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #5476 
metalbetta

Aww :(...
It's worse when you actually know it's coming. At least I get really stressed out. I was thinking about putting Delilah down but she kind of beat me to it :/
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #5477 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrysCat View Post
and then the person just writes it off as "sorry, I have no social skills." you don't need to have social skills to come to the conclusion that contradicting everyone and insulting their intelligence will make them mad.
LMAO I was going to comment about that as well, but I was too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
This does bring up something that I've always wondered about. If you look in the diseases section some people say they have a fish that has velvet, columnaris, dropsy or whatever. Then they say their fish lives in a 10 gallon, heated, filtered tank with no tankmates and they keep their water pristine, water parameters perfect etc. If everything is perfect then why is the fish sick? Then you have someone who has a fish in a half gallon vase,with few water changes and it's never gotten sick and lives for 4-5 years! I don't get it.
My only guess would be the current situation happening to humans and medication/cleanliness. I think the immune system gets LAZY because you don't train it. Humans get booster shots, but our fish are literally kept in pristine conditions due to our own hand. I'm not saying get your water poopy-dirty, but a little poo never hurt a fish.

Which is why hypochondriacs are self perpetuating, LOL. They wash everything but get sick more often than people they consider "unsanitary" (i.e. my mum).

Your white blood cells need exercise too, hence all of our booster/flue/immuno-shots :P...we can't give our fishies shots though.

This is my theory, I've had it for a long time to argue against people who think medicine will save humankind. If nothing it is making us evolve slower because less of us learn to fight off disease naturally instead of popping pills all the time.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 AM   #5478 
Shimizoki

OMG people... I just got into the betta thing and every day I read about all you guys loosing fish. Its super depressing... tell them to stop it.

On a side note thats slightly more empathetic...
I am terribly sorry that your friends have passed / on the way out.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #5479 
vaygirl

Sorry about Delilah and Morgan. Fish are a strange combo of delicate and resilient.

My rant. The lady who lived here before me had four dogs and they peed EVERYWHERE. I used a black light once on the carpet that remains in two rooms... big mistake. I totally skeeve carpet anyway because you don't really know what's lurking in it. Anyway, I just moved my washer and dryer and found old dried dog pee under it. UGH! It had dryer lint all stuck to it. I had her old washer/dryer taken out and mine put in on the same day so I never got to check out the utility closet floor. Who knows how long it's been there? EW!

The day we moved in she must have been here. We picked up a box from the dining room and it had fresh dog pee all soaked into it. If I saw her now I'd punch her.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #5480 
Shimizoki

I'd punch her with you... just so you didnt have to go to jail alone.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote