Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #1 
Echo

Red Zen, white patch..

ugh.. so months ago Zen bonked his head on a piece of decor after being startled out of his scales (litterally) and ended up with a teensy white patch between his eyes. one scale came loose and eventually healed with treatment of aquarium salt and melafix.
cut to this week.. monday morning i noticed a small white patch in the same spot and thought not much of it.. maybe a scar had finally settled in. he was still his hyperactive self, wolfing down his munchies like he hadn't been fed in weeks. tuesday morning it had gotten bigger, but he still had one heck of an appetite.. tuesday evening, to my horror, it had practically taken over the top of his head, and a few scales had come loose. still his normal greedy self, though, but i took the precaution of moving him to a new tank with fresh water and a dose of melafix.. this morning he was hanging out at the back of the tank and hugging the heater. the patch is looking ragged, and he didn't come to eat with his usual puppy-like enthusiasm. he looked at his breakfast, then daintily munched it instead of inhaling it.
here's some pics (sorry about the quality).. whatcha think?
Attached Images

Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I'm thinking he maybe cut himself a little back when the accident initially happened and now it's getting infected. Poor Zen. Does it look fuzzy or just like a big patch of missing scales? I'm hoping it's not columnaris.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #3 
Echo

it doesn't look fuzzy.. it appeared too quick for that. it looks like a large patch of loose scales to me. he was doing fine for months until monday, and was definitely NOT living up to his name (more like a hyperactive dalmation). he didn't start acting droopy 'til this morning. i'm gonna add a bit of salt when i get home, but he's definitely got me worried.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #4 
Sakura8

It's good it's not fuzzy but that leads me back to a possible infection. The salt will definitely help. I hope he gets better soon. By the way, where've you been? We've missed you, Echo the Enforcer.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #5 
Echo

ugh.. had surgery to remove some unwanted stuff from the uh.. headlight region. i wanted nothing more than to sleep for a week, then i had to play catch-up with my classwork and work-work. been a busy little enforcer
but my fins are happy with me! i've been replacing their mini-bows with marineland hex 5s, each with its own moss ball tribble thingie (which i have seen more than one nudge about and have a blast with). Zen was up next, but i think i'll wait 'til he's feeling better.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Glad to hear you're doing better after surgery. And yes, you have been a busy enforcer. I hope the salt helps Zen.