Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #11 
TexasCichlid

He has a very funny behavior. I put the pellets in for feeding and he stalks them individually for a few minutes. He circles around them, pushes them around with the current he generates and follows them around. Then he swims away very quickly, turns and flares and attacks the pellet. Never seen a betta do that.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #12 
masshiimarro

pretty betta.. :D
well java ferns and plants such as anacharis are easy to take care of. i have them in my tank and they dont really need all the CO2.. esp the anacharis. i just float them there and they grow like crazy!
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #13 
masshiimarro

oh and moss balls would be a cute addition :)
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #14 
TexasCichlid

Quote:
Originally Posted by masshiimarro View Post
oh and moss balls would be a cute addition :)
I bought a giant morimo ball, 1.5 inches wide, some flame moss, some java moss and some java fern. Also bought a nice piece of malaysian driftwood I will plant. Pictures when it all arrives and comes together.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #15 
Larsa

hi welcome to the forum! Lol like the name, i live in Texas XD Im a betta and clownfish kinda girl, but dont have any salt tanks at the moment, just a family of bettas! :P Your new fishie might look just mine, maybe brothers!? o- 0 We LOVE pictures so post lots :)
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #16 
mjoy79

Hey TexasCichlid,
I'm a fellow Texan. What part are you from? I'm in the Dallas area (Coppell). Beautiful fish and I love that tank. I was looking at that tank earlier today :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #17 
PewPewPew

As a tag-in, you can feed 3-5 of those small betta buffet pellets a day. I use them and theyre extremely small. Unless he's super tiny, feed him like 4 a day, spaced out to 2 in the morning 2 at night, or if you can, 4 evenly throughout the day.

I do that.

Welcome!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #18 
Vanah

The "dragon scales" are very cute. They're basically just what Petsmart calls their half-moon plakats. I still remember my first HMPK, and I've been partial to them ever since. In my opinion they seem more active and responsive, and I've heard they're supposedly more closely related to wild betta. Oh, and the food ritual? That's a sign of a playful, smart, and creative fish. A very good thing. :)

Congrats on the upgrade! You may want to construct a cover for that though. Even a betta who isn't a regular jumper may have a hop one day. I learned that the hard way; a few years ago I came home to an empty tank. Never did find the fish, I think my dog probably discovered him... :(

Personally I really like the cubus. I know a lot of people would grumble at me about how small they are but Pei Ling is thrilled with his. I've just gotten back into fish after a long break of not having any, and my cat is very young and nosey, so I'm limited to places where I can put my tanks. Most of those locations won't put up with more than 10-20lbs on them. *sighs*

I originally had Pei Ling in the Fluval SPEC but honestly he didn't seem very pleased with it at all. One day I turned it off for a little bit and he started dancing all over and playing, happy as can be. I realized he didn't like the current of the SPEC. Stuck him in a cubus and he's just having a blast. Some betta like playing in bubblers and currents but this guy likes still water I guess.

...Good grief I'm rambling. *shuts up*
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #19 
Larsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
Hey TexasCichlid,
I'm a fellow Texan. What part are you from? I'm in the Dallas area (Coppell). Beautiful fish and I love that tank. I was looking at that tank earlier today :)
heeeeey im in Mckinney- Allen, TX! Looking for local betta lovers to be friends with : /
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #20 
TexasCichlid

Well, the bug hit me and I decided to jump into the hobby a bit deeper than I had thought I would.

I have a Finnex 4G and a JBJ Picotope 3G for two new bettas coming tomorrow from Thailand.

Finnex 4G setup - 26watt lamp, Hydor theo 50w, Eco-Complete substrate, nice piece of Malaysian driftwood. Planted flame moss on the driftwood, dwarf hairgrass "belem" in the substrate and rotala rotundiflora for my stem plant in there.

The Picotope has a 13watt lamp, Hydor 25w and the same Eco-Complete substrate. A nice piece of mopani is in there I planted Christmas Moss on. Rotundiflora is also in, as well as a giant marimo.

And without further adieu, here are my two new bettas from Bangleangbettas in Thailand.