Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #1 
aileenflanagan

Exclamation Tank/Feeding/Water/Sick questions

I have had my betta for a couple months now and recently got a new one gallon tank with a filter. I just did a 50% water for the first time with this tank and now he is swimming around like crazy and hanging out mostly at the top of the tank. He hasnt eaten, and i got a glimpse of him and it looks like he has a tiny white patch near his gills. I dont know if it is a disease or just a coloration i didnt notice before. Also Im wondering if anyone knows how often you need to change the filter? Thanks in advanced!
aileenflanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

To understand....he has a behavior change right after a 50% water change....correct.....if so....make another 50% water change using like temp dechlorinated water and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank....

Often when you have a sudden behavior change after a water change it is due to-forgotten or not enough dechlorinator, extreme water temp or pH changes, contamination of some type........

Filter media-needs a rinse/swish in old tank water a couple of times a month with one of the twice weekly water changes and if you plan to use carbon (not needed) change this per package direction....

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diseases, filter, tank and tank care