Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #1 
TwilightNite

Exclamation Urgent!!

I have a friend that has a Betta fish and she wants to give him away,
and I told her I would DEFIANTLY take him, but I am currently in VA, 10 hours
away from home, and I am going to take him with me, I am getting him on
monday, and then going strait to the amusement park, how can I keep him happy in the car? As well as the 10 hour trip back, the trip back will be several days later but, in both cases how do I keep him happy/healthy?
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #2 
creativek14

Is there anyway after tha park you can pick him up? that can over heat him and cause him more stress. If your staying at a hotel or a persons house, drop him off there before you go.
creativek14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I am not sure if there's a safe way to do this...Cars get sooo hot...The inside of a car in summer can easily get 100+ ... it's a very hot this time of year.You would be risking it if you left him in the car...I would do like creativek14 mentioned and maybe leave him in a hotel room...You could try ice packs..but then he may get too cold and the fluctuations can be bad.../o:

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 07-09-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #4 
TwilightNite

I worked it out so I could drop off the fish before the amusement park that is a relief!So I am good as far as the amusement park end of it. So do any of you know what I should do for the 10 hour trip we drive all 10 hours at one time no stops we and if we do stop it is usually for a few minutes. Do you think it would be a good idea if it but him in a water bottle in a box with Styrofoam and some towels and keep the air following?
Or keep him in his tank and do that?

Last edited by TwilightNite; 07-09-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #5 
regalesse

i think your bottle of water approach is better. i've travelled cross country with many different breeds of fish and have always sent them in bags or bottles sealed with lots of air and in styrofoam coolers with cool packs if it was a summer move. i have a really good sucess rate moving them like that.
regalesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #6 
TwilightNite

Thank you this is very helpful to me
but, do I just use a regular water bottle?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #7 
regalesse

as long as the water does not contain chlorine it would be fine to use. it's own tank water would be good too as long as it is relatively clean. try not to feed it for 24 hours before the trip so that it will not have that much to poo on the trip home and you will not have quite as much messy water to deal with when you get it home.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #8 
TwilightNite

Thanks I will do that, The Fish comes with a Tank, so should
I leave him in that or put him into a cup?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #9 
TwilightNite

Exclamation

I got the fish today, he is doing really well,
but it turns out he was only in a mason jar they decided to
keep the tank. He is going to my grandparents house before the amusement park tomorrow, but my grandmother
who is picking him up to take to her house has to get a few things to do before she goes
home so he will have to be in the car for couple hours!! So I am putting him in a small cooler so it will not get too hot, he will be in his jar and surrounded with
the air filled packing stuff, and bungge corded down to the seat so it won't jiggle around to much, the air will be on so it won't get hot on the inside of the car unless the car is turned off is this plan O.K. or do there need to be alterations?? And do I need an ice pack, it will be over 100 degrees out side PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #10 
regalesse

i don't think the ice pack is needed but i would rerigerate one and put it in where it can not physically touch his jar. then he would stay relatively cool. frozen pack might make him too cold. your packing seems sound. best of luck.